Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 111

Author Topic: [0.96a] Tahlan Shipworks  (Read 1104227 times)

Yubbin

• Lieutenant
  • i just play mods
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Tahlan Shipworks 0.3.15a
« Reply #450 on: March 28, 2020, 06:20:46 AM »

The code worked Nia, thanks!

ROFLtheWAFL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 02, 2020, 04:06:24 PM »

I found the Ristreza in Lethia but it wasn't recoverable  :(
Is that the only one that spawns?

dreamdancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 06, 2020, 10:13:03 AM »

I found the Ristreza in Lethia but it wasn't recoverable  :(
Is that the only one that spawns?

Kassadar builds new ones. You can frequently buy them at the military market and the antique seller. If you sell Kassadar a nanoforge, you can potentially buy a pristine one at the military market.

dreamdancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »

- Nibelung
   - Medium turret arcs adjusted to no longer have frontal convergence
   - You can thank the people making silly frontal builds for that

IME, the Nibelung simply works better as frontal ship. I don't think you can cripple the mounts enough to make it better as a broadside ship. Until I moved to frontal setup, the AI did a very lousy job compared to Conquests. I used the medium mounts as point defense, now I just leave them empty.

With a Storm Needler, Amboss Heavy Autocannon (and optionally one or two railguns in the small slots), flux is maxed out anyway. Since Nibelung comes with the built in-range crippler, there is little point in using other large guns.

Dragonslayer Hammer is very disappointing in a frontal setup. It's useless in a broadside setup (not enough damage, easily intercepted / unguided).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2020, 12:28:05 PM »

I have to agree with Dreamdancer on the Nibelung... though, interestingly, the unique version with the built-in large cannons does still have converging forward mediums, and the build I've ended up using with it is actually broadside-friendly.  2x heavy needler, mixed GH PD weapons in the small turrets, small side mounts left empty for more ordnance points.  It actually works out pretty well: you approach head-on, get some burst kinetic damage in from the pair of needlers, then swing broadside to get all three heavy guns on target once the target's running high on flux.

I'd say the issue is a two-parter: one being that filling those small side slots doesn't get you a lot of advantage, since it's easy to have just the large and mediums alone occupy the entirety of the ship's dissipation.  And two being that filling them with anything more than light mortars gets expensive; a full set of railguns is running you 56 ordnance points, and even if you plan to focus on broadside combat, it's better to spend those points elsewhere.

(Plus, using light mortars isn't actually that useful - if the side guns had wider arcs they might serve as decent anti-fighter weaponry, but with the narrow hardpoint-style side mounts, you're pretty much locked down to fitting them with kinetics - light HE weaponry isn't very effective against large targets and they don't have the traversal to be really useful against small targets.  Though a version that allowed ballistic or energy weapons for those slots might be interesting - imagine swinging to the side to bring in a battery of antimatter blasters, or filling the slots with range-boosted ion cannons for a support role...)

My suggestion would be to remove the Heavy Ballistic Integration hullmod; unlike the Conquest, the ship doesn't need a bonus incentive for actually using large weapons in its large slots.  Instead, I'd suggest something like a "Integrated Light Weapon Batteries" - something like -5 OP cost for small ballistic weapons, +5 OP cost for PD weapons.  (And then maybe restore the medium turret arcs to what they were?)  The idea is to reduce the opportunity cost of filling those side mounts, without making it vastly cheaper to fill out the small turrets with PD guns.  An arguably-beneficial side-effect would be making larger PD guns more expensive, increasing the cost of doing silly things like tossing a single flak cannon into the rear large turret and calling it a day.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:30:20 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »

Hahahahahahahaha

NO

as a note:
The range cap is a temporary measure till the next major update which will add modding features needed to make the hullmod work in the way I want it to. I might consider something like an OP cost reduction for small mounts instead of hbi, but the medium arcs are staying as they are. Once we have the ability to affect weapons individually, the enhanced range boost will only apply to small mounts and no longer be abusable with short range large weapons.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:08:16 PM by Nia Tahl »
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2020, 01:09:05 PM »

Okay, thanks for the edit there - I was about to hit report on that post for it being, well, a bit rude.

Having some explanation is appreciated; that you're reacting with a 'haha no' to the tiny little parenthetical comment I made in the middle rather than the main points I was trying to make takes the sting out of it.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

dreamdancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2020, 06:51:31 AM »

Once we have the ability to affect weapons individually, the enhanced range boost will only apply to small mounts and no longer be abusable with short range large weapons.
I hope, the large mounts will have standard ITU range. I think that might fix the AI issues I've been seeing with the Nibelung. With a broadside setup (I have tried a ton of different setups), the AI is much more reluctant to engage and the Conquest simply performs better. On paper, the Nibelung is much tankier, but in practice it takes as much hull damage as my Conquests (in AI hands).

BTW, the phase skimmer is an awesome system for a player Traumtänzer and the 60 DP are justified in player hands. For anyone, who likes omni shields and manual fire of the large mounts, the large mounts can easily be changed to be true fixed mounts by editing 'mods/tahlan/data/hulls/tahlan_schneefall_traum.ship'. I've set the arc of the two large mounts to 0 and the angles to -2.5 and 2.5 degrees.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 09, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »

Only 60?  Need to up the game there!:)

Higaran Dreadnought  at 105....

Nyarlathotep

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 10, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »

Greetings, I am a big fan of the Nibelung. I finally acquired the unique one but I have a very odd bug- the CR never diminishes, but after about the length of the first stage of CR decay the ship suddenly freezes up and responds to no commands, drifting into death. I realize I am giving you no info on whatever other mods I'm using (a lot). Is this something you've seen before? Any advice? I love this ship and don't want to restart because of a bug, but the ship is basically unusable. Thank you for keeping this mod up, big fan.

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 11, 2020, 02:11:42 AM »

Uh... whatever is causing that, it's not on my end. The only difference for the Kriemhild is the built-in guns. There's nothing messing with CR or anything at all.

Nyarlathotep

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 11, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »

Gotcha, guess I just gotta scrub that save file. RIP. Its pretty unstable anyways, I shoulda known. Thanks for the Re: keep up the good work Sylphon and Tahlan are just 5/5. Great stuff. <3

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2020, 03:01:10 AM »

You might wanna make sure your mods are up to date

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2020, 06:12:58 AM »

The Inferno or what ever it is, it's too strong and sadist petty raider, i mean if they grow that strong and that bold, i'm pretty sure every one on the sector gonna put their different aside and eliminate them quickly as possible, maybe tune them down a bit.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2020, 06:41:13 AM »

The Inferno or what ever it is, it's too strong and sadist petty raider, i mean if they grow that strong and that bold, i'm pretty sure every one on the sector gonna put their different aside and eliminate them quickly as possible, maybe tune them down a bit.

Are you on the latest version? They've been toned multiple times now and their siege bases are now an optional feature that is disabled by default
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 111