Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Salvage" expeditions are not ever close to "profitable"  (Read 12435 times)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "Salvage" expeditions are not ever close to "profitable"
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »

Odd, I find expeditions to be plenty profitable as is.....but that might be because I don't return until I've scoured several systems back and fourth.

Thats it's called an expedition, you might have to search through 5+ systems and spend whole in-game weeks/months to make a profit.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 06:44:13 PM »

do not mix rare loot and vendor trash, yes you can get profit by looting blueprints, weapons and special items, but they do not follow normal rules and do not need any salvage ships to get.

no matter how large or small your fleet is, you will get same amount of rare loot.

single wolf can and will get stack of valueble blueprints from research station, at same time, hurge expedition will get exactly same amount of blueprints (at much greater cost) and just a little bit more vendor trash.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 04:51:42 PM »

Anything that involves you heading out into the void, even if without a mission, has to be small. At most have an SO Lasher to handle single Remnants/Probes, have a Phaeton and a Collosus and maybe a Shepard or two and you can go for months on end. There is no real use for you to have a massive 'salvaging fleet'. Past a certain point which comes really quickly, you're wasting a lot of supplies/fuel for just the ability to hold future stuff, most of which has little to no value. Stacks of organics or metals should just be jettisoned anyway.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:49 PM »

yet again, someone try argument "you play it wrong".

thx bro, i know and point of this thread exactly this, game should not have "superior" and "inferior" routes, each game play route should have it's pros and cons.

atm trying to get money from loot is strictly inferior to just setting colony on 100% world and AFK for hour.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 11:23:45 PM »

yet again, someone try argument "you play it wrong".

thx bro, i know and point of this thread exactly this, game should not have "superior" and "inferior" routes, each game play route should have it's pros and cons.

atm trying to get money from loot is strictly inferior to just setting colony on 100% world and AFK for hour.

The argument is not that you "play it wrong", but that the amount of supplies needed grows proportionally to the distance you travel. With a bigger fleet, you need to have either a higher quantity of lootable objects, a higher amount of loot per object, or a smaller fleet.

Since the amount of lootable objects is determined during worldgen (with the exception of random fleets you can attack along the way), there is a hard cap on the size of the fleet that would make such a trip "profitable".

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2019, 01:03:09 AM »

and this "hardcap" do not include fleet with ever single salvage gantry...

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »

Whenever I go on a salvaging run, it's a given that I find a nearby scan package mission beforehand. This alone is enough to make a trip to the fringe worth it, but I also get quite a good deal of riches and loot from salvaging - Domain-Era structures and other derelicts are more than enough to sustain your fleet until you return to the core systems. Don't take a war fleet out to explore, spec into the right skills for what you're doing, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3]