Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Make large ships rarer, tie to colonial economy  (Read 1026 times)

iamseron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Make large ships rarer, tie to colonial economy
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »

Edit: This suggestion was made based on a misunderstanding of the lore and internal game logic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:55:03 PM by iamseron »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Make large ships rarer, tie to colonial economy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »

Large ships commonly used by factions will never be unique.  The only way ships can be unique is if they are special rewards that are limited, like Legion XIV (or for non-ships, something like the special reward from Red Planet).

Capitals are rarer already.  None of the them appear on the tech pack blueprints, only the individual rare blueprints (that are too rare).  Also, none of the core markets offer capital warships in Open Market (or if they do, probably require high size), and those in military market require commission (except indies) and high rep.

I am most likely to gain my first capital by looting it either from the enemy or a derelict (Legion XIV) in some fringe system.  Once player builds colony, death fleets will come, and the player that can survive that will rack up capitals from the enemy fast.  Eventually, after player gets all of the blueprints and stuff, he can crank out pristine hulls at bargain prices.

From the looks of the OP, it seems like it just adds more grinding or delays when character gets capital, but in the end after all of the grinding, player still has the same capitals.  No thanks to annoying rarity and/or grinding.

iamseron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Make large ships rarer, tie to colonial economy
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »

After reading this article my suggestion makes less sense for the logic of the game world: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/08/16/a-true-and-accurate-history-of-the-persean-sector/#more-3642

My new suggestion is to make this lore article more prominent somehow. I completely overlooked that link on the website and only found out about it through chat :-)