Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Aliens and constructions  (Read 8806 times)

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
Aliens and constructions
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:21:19 AM »

Sup. I wonder if in future we will have a alien tech species (as in vanilla we have a proto alien fauna and flora , but not technology advanced sentient species). I hope in future there will be few systems with aliens inside , and one of them could be superstructure system (Ringworld or Dyson Sphere).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens and constructions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 07:26:52 AM »

Aliens and megastructures aren't really the scope of the game. Starsector's more about humans struggling with one another, in space.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »

Aliens and megastructures aren't really the scope of the game. Starsector's more about humans struggling with one another, in space.
And the threat of killer AI that wants to kill (most of) humanity.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »

They thought we are OMEGA, but they realize we are not. Perhaps in our ship hulls there is OMEGA to be found

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »

I don't think that's in the scope of what Alex and David have planned for the game, but who knows.  ;)

Failing that though, there's always mods! Make the alien dyson swarm and ringworld you want to see in the sector.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »

in the immortal words of Edward James Olmos on the set of Battlestar Galactica; if aliens show up I'm leaving.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 10:02:28 AM »

in the immortal words of Edward James Olmos on the set of Battlestar Galactica; if aliens show up I'm leaving.

More or less this. Especially if they are rubber forehead aliens. Huamn vs Human struggle are more interesting.

Also we have sentient AI in the game, and IRL sentient AI might just be more alien the actual aliens if we get to either one.

And as for megastructures, you technically already have them, battlestations are massive behemoths and you have old Domain tech like the planetary shield which if you take into account that planets are also BIG chances are closer to old Earth thete ate going to be giant constructions of sorts since the Sector we have is more or less the boonies in a rural contryside.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »

We have mods for aliens beyond Remnant AI.  (Foundation of Borken has the best PR, but it's .81.)

It's next to impossible to do alien aliens without a massive backstory that just doesn't fit in StarSector.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »

And as for megastructures, you technically already have them, battlestations are massive behemoths and you have old Domain tech like the planetary shield which if you take into account that planets are also BIG chances are closer to old Earth thete ate going to be giant constructions of sorts since the Sector we have is more or less the boonies in a rural contryside.

And the Hypergate network, and terraforming tools like Stellar Mirrors and Solar Shades.

The Domain had the capability to create orbital megastructures in systems. The devolved state of industry in the Sector has lost that.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »

I mean, aliens aren't completely out of the question: there's rumours that Onslaughts were built to fight non-humans (which I should point out could easily apply to human-built AI, and probably makes more sense given the Domain's AI proscription), so it could be humans have contacted aliens long ago and almost completely destroyed them (or else modern day humans would at least know something about them). A storyline where an ancient alien enemy of humanity returned to wreak vengeance on the Domain, starting by disabling its Gates, would be cliche but workable.

Generally speaking though I dislike aliens in sci-fi (same goes for fantasy races), since most of the time you could swap them with humans of a foreign culture and it would make no difference to the story. And as others have said, AIs are probably more alien to humans than most sci-fi aliens. Hopefully the Remnants will have a bigger role to play in the future than just system guardians.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 05:56:54 AM »

My thought was that aliens which we encounter would be scared as hell of us, as we would be something they avoided for hundreds of years. Or even be a scarecrow of sort. About megastructure i would saw it as a broken or uninhabited. Some remnant of great once civilisation.