Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: You can pick a flag for your faction  (Read 5527 times)

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
You can pick a flag for your faction
« on: December 18, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »

I only just discovered this, so some of you may not have either. In the menu where you setup your faction's name you can click on the flag and pick from a short list of presets.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: You can pick a flag for your faction
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:32:22 PM »

To add to this, its also possible to add on to, or at the very least replace, the flags too if you access the Starsector0.9a\starsector-core\graphics\factions\custom folder and put in some flags there with the proper names. They do have to be the proper sizes though. 410 x 256 for the flag and 256 x 256 for the crests.

Is anyone able to answer if its possible to add more flags there to be used by simply adding the pictures and follow the proper naming conventions? Or are there extra steps?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »

There is a stylized A that reminds me of the Atari logo, yet not offered in the game.  I would not mind using that one.  Otherwise, I tend to use the default lone star flag that has been unused for years until now.  The red skull looks fun for a pirate playthrough, though.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »

Hmm, I can't help but notice a flag and crest for the "Ko Combine" in here. Sounds like a potential new faction. I'm sure someone around knows some lore about them in the missions/blog post eh?

OnlyClassicPack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »

Is anyone able to answer if its possible to add more flags there to be used by simply adding the pictures and follow the proper naming conventions? Or are there extra steps?

Without extra steps: Just replace one of existing flags + related insignia icon.
There are no random factions, so this won't affect anything besides symbolic visual.

With extra steps: In case you'd like to keep all of the original flags and have yours as additional option...
1. After you added a couple of new .png images to Starsector\starsector-core\graphics\factions\custom, go to Starsector\starsector-core\data\world\factions and open "player.faction" with a Notepad.
2. In the first part of the config, there is a custom flag list, just copy-paste one of flag listings in the same segment and put your filenames in it:
Spoiler
Code
		{
"logo":"graphics/factions/custom/player_logo13_flag.png",
"crest":"graphics/factions/custom/player_logo13_crest.png"
},
{
"logo":"graphics/factions/custom/player_logo14_flag.png",
"crest":"graphics/factions/custom/player_logo14_crest.png"
},
{
"logo":"graphics/factions/custom/my_flag.png",
"crest":"graphics/factions/custom/my_crest.png"
},
[close]
3. Save file. Flag will now appear in the game.

I've added my custom design this way, while keeping vanilla ones intact.
Spoiler

[close]

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »

You can do fruity stuff like this if you have enough motivation....
Spoiler
[close]

Hmm, I can't help but notice a flag and crest for the "Ko Combine" in here. Sounds like a potential new faction. I'm sure someone around knows some lore about them in the missions/blog post eh?
Or an 'old' faction that never really got fleshed out. Iirc, they were responsible for creating the Shepherd. That flag has been in the game since at least 0.7. Hidden. Waiting.