Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Unable to Leave Battle Despite Total Victory  (Read 6871 times)

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Unable to Leave Battle Despite Total Victory
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »

Had a battle against a sizable pirate fleet, even thought I managed to destroy the entire fleet the option to claim victory didnt pop up. This is the second time this has happened, I don't know what exactly causes it. The only way for me to leave combat was to either exit the game or have all of my ships retreat.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to Leave Battle Despite Total Victory
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »

Hi - a couple of questions, if you don't mind!

Are you 100% sure you destroyed all the pirate ships? It's not impossible that, say, a pirate ship might have gotten lost in a corner somewhere - there's a similar issue reported for derelict fleets that I need to look at.

How long did you wait before exiting the game?

Is this vanilla or with mods?

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 05:24:33 PM »

100% sure I killed everything. Even the fighters, afterwards I put my ship on autopilot and my fleet on full assault and let them wander around the map for a bit (about two to four minutes). This is with mods, but the first time it happened my game was more or less vanilla.

Both times it happened was with pirate bounty fleets, lots of fighters and Colossus carriers.

Don't know its a bug with battlesizes or something but another time I couldn't leave a fight was because I engaged a pirate station with about 100+ ships joining. I eventually won with very low CR left but the stragglers kept trying to reengage me afterwards then retreating and then reengaging again until they had no CR left (they still did it it no CR). They ran out of CR but still engaged me until I destroyed all of the combat ships, then I read the message saying they are reengaging me with probably nothing because all they had left were fuel tankers (I promptly got frustrated enough to just quit game).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:27:39 PM »

100% sure I killed everything. Even the fighters, afterwards I put my ship on autopilot and my fleet on full assault and let them wander around the map for a bit (about two to four minutes). This is with mods, but the first time it happened my game was more or less vanilla.

Both times it happened was with pirate bounty fleets, lots of fighters and Colossus carriers.

But they had civilian ships, right? Still, that doesn't make sense, there's a fail-safe where if the enemy has reserves, but hasn't deployed anything for some time (<30 seconds or so), it orders a full retreat. So that seems to imply there's some sort of ship deployed causing this, even if it's somehow invisible.

What's "more or less vanilla"? (Edit: it doesn't sound like this is necessarily mod related, but would be helpful to know.)

(Let me move this to modded, in any case...)

Don't know its a bug with battlesizes or something but another time I couldn't leave a fight was because I engaged a pirate station with about 100+ ships joining. I eventually won with very low CR left but the stragglers kept trying to reengage me afterwards then retreating and then reengaging again until they had no CR left (they still did it it no CR). They ran out of CR but still engaged me until I destroyed all of the combat ships, then I read the message saying they are reengaging me with probably nothing because all they had left were fuel tankers (I promptly got frustrated enough to just quit game).

Right, that's a bug - haven't fixed it yet, but it's on my list. Sounds like it's probably different than what you've run into. That is, run into here.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:30:58 PM by Alex »

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 05:34:01 PM »

But they had civilian ships, right? Still, that doesn't make sense, there's a fail-safe where if the enemy has reserves, but hasn't deployed anything for some time (<30 seconds or so), it orders a full retreat. So that seems to imply there's some sort of ship deployed causing this, even if it's somehow invisible.

What's "more or less vanilla"?

(Let me move this to modded, in any case...)

Right, that's a bug - haven't fixed it yet, but it's on my list. Sounds like it's probably different than what you've run into.

Well when I say more or less vanilla I mean I didn't have any faction mods, nothing that adds new content (Unless I'm completely mistaken or anything just some of the utility mods (Leading Pip, Rebalanced Pilums, etc). Plus I didnt fiddle with any settings I couldn't do ingame.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »

Gotcha, thank you for all the info - will look into this.

(If anyone else has experienced this specific issue, I'd appreciate you chiming in!)

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »

Also experienced this issue once, exact same case as OP. Don't remember exactly who I was fighting but it was 99% either Pirates or Luddic Path. Lots of mods.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »

@Tei and @Torch: were either of you using the mods Disassemble Reassemble or Arsenal Expansion?

I've just been discussing a very similar bug with Surge on the Discord, where all ships of a side appear to have retreated yet the battle doesn't end. He pointed to the Vagrant-class Destroyer from Disassemble Reassemble. Specifically, it seems to be caused by ships with separate modules (the Vagrant has a modular chunk of armour) - InventorRaccoon mentioned to me that a similar issue again was reported with Arsenal Expansion's Flourish, a high-tech Lasher analogue with a module that creates a secondary shield.

I tested a mission myself, two identical fights except one involved Vagrants and one didn't. Both times I deployed all forces then immediately ordered a Full Retreat. Without the Vagrants, the battle ended after a couple of seconds of the last ship retreating. With them, it didn't, it just stuck on an empty battlefield for about a minute before I exited the mission manually. The armour modules never showed up separately on the tactical map, so it's hard to tell if they were "stuck" off-screen. Regardless, it's looking pretty clear that this is related to ships with modules.

Is it possible that modules on ships aren't being removed from the combat engine when the parent ship retreats? Even though they don't appear on the tactical map, does the game still think they're in play and not end combat because of that?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 03:02:18 PM »

Is it possible that modules on ships aren't being removed from the combat engine when the parent ship retreats? Even though they don't appear on the tactical map, does the game still think they're in play and not end combat because of that?

That's right, IIRC Tartiflette reported it a bit back and that's fixed for the .1 release.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »

Oh, that's good to hear!  ;D Thanks muchly Alex.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 07:39:42 PM »

Just got the same problem today, using AxleMC131's mod. I was fighting a pirate fleet, probably a Vagrant in the ennemy fleet.
However, my fleet was heading exactly for the off-screen location of the module, and fighters finaly destroy it, allowing the battle to end.

sinani210

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »

Are you 100% sure you destroyed all the pirate ships? It's not impossible that, say, a pirate ship might have gotten lost in a corner somewhere - there's a similar issue reported for derelict fleets that I need to look at.

Oh please yes. I would also like to report that I have seen this bug too. It often seems to be the Bastillon that is the problem for me. It goes and hides on the border and takes forever to find if I even manage to locate it.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 02:18:25 AM »

I've seen a similar issue when using Console Commands. If you have the "blockretreat" cheat active, it sometimes gets stuck until all fighters are cleared. If you have that enabled, try disabling it before you blow up the last normal enemy -- that might help things.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 04:28:52 PM »

Axle, those ships were the culprit. Thank God for command console so I can force end combat when it happen.