Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raiding in what way?  (Read 2463 times)

SupaMuffinMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Raiding in what way?
« on: December 16, 2018, 04:01:36 AM »

Hello all,

So whats the point of it? I mean as far as i know you just raid a port,planet and get a few resources but then you carnt do it again after? carnt i steal stuff? can i take over the starport? whats the limit to raiding? i find killing or destroying a starport to be more rewards then a few scraps from raid?

I love the game but just a big noob at what i can do.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:09:44 AM by SupaMuffinMan »

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Raiding in what way?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 05:13:36 AM »

It really depends on what You are raiding. Raiding a "pop-up"-base of the pirate or luddic path faction makes little sense, but raiding an actual colony with the "heavy industry" building can yield blueprints used by that faction and even special items (nanoforge, synchrotron) for Your colonies. The raid dialogue usually gives You a hint like "some blueprints may also be found" or something. Also, You can always inspect a colony before raiding by finding the corresponding dialogue option (don't remember where exactly) so You can see how rich the colony is, and in what areas of production it may have stock. It's rarely worth the effort for just ressources, though, in my experience.
To make raids easier look for ships with the "ground support" package (I think the valkyrie mid-line crew transport has it). Also, You can raid again and again and again, however, You have to disengage and wait around for a day. (The dialogue actually says that. Not to be antagonistic here, but it really helps to read those lines, Alex rarely throws useless fillers into his strategic messages.) The advantage here is that the stability hit from the raid before makes the next raid easier. Downside, there is less and less to gain each time to cover the cost, so it only really pays if You are looking for a specific blueprint or colony item.
Finally, raiding destabilizes a market and that means You can gain market share, have an easier time with that faction's fleet (if it's a ship spewing world), better warez at the black market etc. - if You terrorize a place long enough You might even manage to "decivilize it" which turns it ready for colonization. As far as I know there is no "invasion" option though. You can only take over a colony via long-term terrorism and then re-erect it with a +25% hazard modifier.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:32:07 AM »

As far as I know there is no "invasion" option though. You can only take over a colony via long-term terrorism and then re-erect it with a +25% hazard modifier.
25% for decivilized. Planet also gets another 25% for polluted, if you use even single tactical bombardment.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 06:51:45 AM »

I am not sure if pollution is guaranteed after sat bomb.  Sometimes, I get it, but sometimes I do not.

Someone mentioned that building a colony on decivilized world then abandoning it removes decivilized, and player can then rebuild another colony without decivilized.  I have not tried this myself to confirm this, but that would have been a very handy trick had I known it for my first game.

As for OP, I usually raid markets with heavy industries for blueprints, and I only want enough for 40% (or a little more if I want to raid two or three times in a row) so I only lower stability by -1 instead of -2 or -3.  Anything more yields more commodities that I do not need and probably cannot carry.

However, if I have some spare marines and capacity, I may raid pop-up pirate and pather bases before killing them for more loot to sell.  On the other hand, I am not sure if the extra loot offsets the cost of marines lost (have not paid attention and done the math for that yet).

Valkryie and Colossus 3 both have Ground Support Package.  Colossus 3 is much easier to acquire than Valkyrie, and pirate pack may be worth learning just for Colossus 3 alone if you want to raid (and you will if you are greedy for blueprints).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 06:54:52 AM by Megas »

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »

I am not sure if pollution is guaranteed after sat bomb.  Sometimes, I get it, but sometimes I do not.

Someone mentioned that building a colony on decivilized world then abandoning it removes decivilized, and player can then rebuild another colony without decivilized.  I have not tried this myself to confirm this, but that would have been a very handy trick had I known it for my first game.

As for OP, I usually raid markets with heavy industries for blueprints, and I only want enough for 40% (or a little more if I want to raid two or three times in a row) so I only lower stability by -1 instead of -2 or -3.  Anything more yields more commodities that I do not need and probably cannot carry.

That was me!! I tested out the colonizing + abandoning trick several times on planets I personally raided into the ground. It works. You can save scum test it before you decide to colonize. FYI you can also explore the ruins and tech mine on "decivilized" planets. I have noticed that the stability and ruin "size" is related to the population size of the planet that was decivilized - so decivilizing Kazeron would give you a lot more loot than say Garnir.

And for the OP, there's two places for pristine nanoforge and two other ones for the fuel product item. Fuel production is in Sindria and Naketchta. Pristine Nanoforges are in Kazeron and Chicomoztec.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

@ Flying Birdy:  I remember you posting that trick.

SupaMuffinMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

Thank you all for providing this information, this has helped me immensely to understand the functions of raiding.

;D

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:24:22 AM »

I am not sure if pollution is guaranteed after sat bomb.  Sometimes, I get it, but sometimes I do not.
It only happens after bombardment (either sat or tac) if the market has the habitable condition (and didn't already have the pollution condition). So it's effectively equivalent to removing the habitable condition.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »

I am not sure if pollution is guaranteed after sat bomb.  Sometimes, I get it, but sometimes I do not.
It only happens after bombardment (either sat or tac) if the market has the habitable condition (and didn't already have the pollution condition). So it's effectively equivalent to removing the habitable condition.

Yep.

You can nearly completely disable most market's batteries though, without having to bomb. If you raid a colony's spaceport and disable it, the colony will most of the time be short on supply and in turn their batteries won't have the same multiplier. This is very useful if you want to eventually colonize a planet like Gilead in its most pristine condition.