Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UI Streamlining (For Repetitive Actions/Tasks)  (Read 1036 times)

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
UI Streamlining (For Repetitive Actions/Tasks)
« on: December 15, 2018, 05:27:02 PM »

Is there a possibility of changing the hotkeys fro some things to make life faster? In particular, I'm talking about the UI keys for surveying and the salvage screen.

First, I have no idea why G/Q (survey) and T/R/G (salvage) were chosen. Salvage kinda makes sense (they're close together on a US keyboard), but survey's reasoning eludes me.

Since most of the dialogue in game can be controlled via the number keys, I kinda wish these screens (survey/salvage) could use them as well.

For survey, I cold just mash the "1" key to cycle through all the menus quickly to survey a planet. "2" would be leave while "3" could be colonize after surveying (so a player wouldn't get the colonize screen by mashing "1" too often).

Salvaging could be "1" for "Take All", "2" for "Confirm and Continue", with "3" for "Abort".

A player goes through these menus VERY often. Considering where your hands are for most of the game (for most players with default controls, by WASD and on the mouse), constantly used commands should be closers (especially given the dialogue system.)

Otherwise, please enable full customization of the UI/hotkeys for all menus/interfaces.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: UI Streamlining (For Repetitive Actions/Tasks)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »

This - or some variation on it - is definitely a good idea.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.