Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: multiplayer. who wants it and what sort of types  (Read 12188 times)

bubbalubber

• Ensign
    • View Profile
multiplayer. who wants it and what sort of types
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »

im sure im not the only person who has thought that a multiplayer mode for this game would be awesome. but what sort of type would everyone like?

personally i see 3 posibilities that would be cool

multiplayer story (co op and vs)
in this mode you could play with, or against friends in a campaign mode, with the "universe" set up in a server style. so 1 person runs the server and others can join.

mission mode (1v1)
in this mode each person would take control of a fleet and fight, this could be in a mission style or maybe just a deathmatch, with each player given a certain amount of cred to buy ships and crew and maybe weapons for thier fleet

mass vs (many vs many)
in this mode you would have a team of people and each team would have a shared ammount of money and each player would control thier own ship. i think this would be cool to play as a team on voice chat. coming up with strategies etc.

as a side not and a reference to another post. if you controled fighters you would maybe control the lead fighter and the other 2 would follow and attack same targets.

your thoughts everyone?

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: multiplayer. who wants it and what sort of types
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »

While most of us probably agree this would be very cool and a ton of fun. It adds a whole slew of new stuff on the coding end, and I'm much more interested in seeing a release version sometime before I have kids than multi.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:45:34 PM »

Same: I would love all of them but its been stated that single player is the focus and I am totally behind that. Depending on how the underlying code is structured it might be a giant pain to get 2 players running in a single battle.

bubbalubber

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 05:46:40 PM »

i agree, biggest concern is getting a great game out of them. so far its shaping up to be amazing.
of the 3 above which mode would you choose if they could only do one?

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

sorry if im bursting your bubble, but im pretty sure I read about alex saying this game will be heavily single player orientated and may not ever include a multiplayer aspect.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:01:14 AM »

If we did get one, co-op campaign for sure.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:48:04 AM »

even if alex doesn't add it it is posoble, although difficult, that it could be added via the use of extensive modding.  peopel have done it with skyrim.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Skyrim-Multiplayer-Mode-Now-Available-Through-a-PC-Mod-241170.shtml

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »

I don't think multiplayer campaign would be possible....what does one player do while the other is in combat? Time "slows down" for the player in combat, so what would the other person be doing? If they just kept flying at normal speed that would be a game breaker that could be abused, and I don't want to sit there and watch for ten minutes as my buddy battles pirates

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »

I agree. Mp campaign is something that would have to be designed for from the beginning. 1v1 or many vs many should be much more achievable.
Though i'd much rather see it after the main game is complete - either as a mod, or expansion.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »

I would love multiplayer. But for now I just want the rest of single player cuz it is so much fun and the stuff being added is awesome!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »

The only multiplayer I would care about is like the melee mode in starcon 2. Pure unadulterated kicking each others butts with custom fleets.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »

Multiplayer in starfarer. What a great idea. (i'm not being sarcastic)   Well, it is a good idea, because imagine an eight player match, and all of them have huge fleets :), epicness at it's best 8)

adecoy95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »

something like freelancers multiplayer would be pretty fun, assuming it does not share freelancers endless latency

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »

A vs mode similar to what is done in the Total War series would be very interesting.  Basically both sides are given a certain number of points, and can spend them however you want.  So you could invest in a bunch of small ships or a few large ones, heavily armed/hull modded ships or spread the points out.  Would work very well with all the customization. 

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »

The only multiplayer I would care about is like the melee mode in starcon 2. Pure unadulterated kicking each others butts with custom fleets.  :)
Pretty much this.
Though the OP's ideas would be neat as well.
Sigh, we will be lucky if we ever come to see such a thing. I shall stay optimistic for it though.
Pages: [1] 2 3