Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The changes to colony building (twitter)  (Read 3183 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
The changes to colony building (twitter)
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1072619150281981953

So, in the gif we can see two major changes:

1) Industries/structures can only be build consecutively, there is a queue. (Damn, this word trips me up!)

2) There is a limit to to the maximum number of industries (not structures) that is based on colony size.

A level five colony can only support two industries, which seems low. It would suggest that either

a) if you start of with one industry slot a level 3, even at max colony level you can only support about four or five industries (two colony levels = +1 slot). From a total of, what, up to eight*, depending on planetary conditions?

So, you would definitely have to make some hard choices, which I think would be great! Finally not all your colonies will be "I can do everything on my own" powerhouses anymore. Instead trading and settling on planets that can support each other might become more important.

or

b) you start of with zero industry slots, so a colony will just act as fleet base in the beginning. I think that's interesting, too, I'd just hope it wouldn't be to expensive to maintain, with the colony generating little to no income. In this case you'd probably end up with seven industry slots (1 colony level= 1 slot).

In any case, the slot limit and the queuing system/lower development speed will help making your colony safer too, as you can't step on as many toes at the same time. I think these changes are definitely going in the right direction. What do you folks think, are they going far enough or is more needed? (Not that we necessarily know about all changes.)

*(Mining, farming, ore processing, heavy industry, light industry, fuel production, tech mining, sleeper extraction?)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: The changes to colony building (twitter)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:07:58 AM »

I feel the limited 12 slots of colonies are a missed opportunity for either a system akin to weapon OPs, or something that can vary depending on the planet's size or hazard.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »

So, you would definitely have to make some hard choices, which I think would be great! Finally not all your colonies will be "I can do everything on my own" powerhouses anymore. Instead trading and settling on planets that can support each other might become more important.

Interesting choices are always good.

b) you start of with zero industry slots, so a colony will just act as fleet base in the beginning. I think that's interesting, too, I'd just hope it wouldn't be to expensive to maintain, with the colony generating little to no income. In this case you'd probably end up with seven industry slots (1 colony level= 1 slot).

In any case, the slot limit and the queuing system/lower development speed will help making your colony safer too, as you can't step on as many toes at the same time. I think these changes are definitely going in the right direction. What do you folks think, are they going far enough or is more needed? (Not that we necessarily know about all changes.)

I think it depends entirely on whether colony threat spam has been reined in. A simple spaceport colony in the early going is fine by me--a simple spaceport colony that I cant build any defenses at being ravaged by pirates constantly and forcing me to abandon the rest of the game is not fine.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:01:50 AM by StarGibbon »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »

What, you thought he wouldn't do it? I still hope Alex will make a separate row for Industries. Since they're limited to 4 now,  they can always be located in the same part of the screen, to be easily scanned by the player.
Spoiler
Sorry for hijacking your thread, Histidine!
[close]

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 12:43:53 AM »

Click-to-swap UI for modifying the queue? Drag-and-drop would seem much more intuitive and useful (can move an item from last place to first without making the previously first item now last unless you want to).

Spoiler
Sorry for hijacking your thread, Histidine!
[close]
I don't mind :) Useful discussion is good.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 02:10:57 AM »

Definitely going in the right direction, dunno what other changes are pending so no clue if industry slot count is high/low/fine.

With current mechanics 4 max would be on the high side, techmine is redundant later on and you only need 1 fuel so essentially a choice on which remaining one you want to skip:
- farming
- mining
- refining
Heavy industry is always great for shipbuilding/patrols, light for the drug money.