Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to overcome an endless cycle of start-scumming?  (Read 7637 times)

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
Re: How to overcome an endless cycle of start-scumming?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 06:15:31 AM »

Thanks to you guys' advice, I managed to finally get past early game! Currently have a quite large fleet with 2 cruisers, 4-5 good destroyers, and a bunch of frigates. I use a Safety Overrides Enforcer-Class as my flagship, and even with all vanilla weapons it just melts anything it can catch. If I were to give it a leveled aggressive officer, it would make a Dominator cry.

Currently in a bit of a pickle, though. Ran out of supplies, crew and money after trying to found a colony in Duzahk right after destroying a pirate base bounty. Going to reload my last save and keep away from colonies until I've got a good war fleet, and some more money, and an actually good planet to colonize.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »

Thanks to you guys' advice, I managed to finally get past early game! Currently have a quite large fleet with 2 cruisers, 4-5 good destroyers, and a bunch of frigates. I use a Safety Overrides Enforcer-Class as my flagship, and even with all vanilla weapons it just melts anything it can catch. If I were to give it a leveled aggressive officer, it would make a Dominator cry.

It's more likely to make *you* cry by rushing headlong into melee with several ships at once. There are certain toys better in player hands.  I tend to give my AI enforcers long range loadouts and tether them to another ship for guard duty.  They live longer that way. A lot of the benefits of SO are wasted on the AI--the AI is actually quite good at managing and venting flux, but poor at the opportunistic striking style SO favors.

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »

I dunno, this Enforcer is pretty terrifying. I can't use my PC for a couple days, but when I get back to it I'm going to optimize the heck out of it and see just how great it really is. Might start investing in combat skills now, too. Is there an XIV Enforcer?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »

There is an XIV enforcer, yes.

One thing I have done in a game or two is start up a colony - and then immediately toss most of my fleet into storage, just orbiting the planet in a single frigate until the colony's defenses are online; that way, I'm not really burning up supplies, and when the inevitable pirate raid shows up, I can hire new crew and pull everything back out of storage.  Works best if you build a waystation ASAP to make sure there are stockpiled supplies you can draw on when re-activating your fleet.  And be careful about the 50% CR storage bug!  (Any ship whose info tooltip is viewed while in storage gets reset to 50% CR.  Can be expensive on capital ships you stored at 100.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 [2]