Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Increase planetary stocks  (Read 16749 times)

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Increase planetary stocks
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »

Are you kidding me?
You telling me that more granularity in colonies would add nothing to the game?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. More granularity is not automatically better. We could be managing individual reloads in our inventories, but we don't cause it wouldn't add anything interesting or meaningful to the game. What would granularity beyond orders of magnitude in colony sizes add to the game?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »

That's starting from the assumption that the freighters we see are all the freighters in the galaxy.
You can just as easily assume that there are thousands of freighter fleets running around, only abstracted.
It’s not starting from that assumption. The player only sees a few trade fleets a week. There obviously must be more, but jumping to millions of trade fleets per day from one or two per week is not reasonable. Even a few thousand fleets per day would still indicate that one or two freighters could fully supply a small colony. It’s an argument about the relative scale of the colonies, not the capabilities of the trade fleets.

Also the infrastructure required to handle millions of freighters daily would be insane. Why not just build bigger freighters?

There’s also evidence suggesting that a single  freighter is able to supply a significant portion of a colonies demand. In game, if you sell a few thousand resources to a colony, it gives you an indication that you are influencing the economy (I think it lowers the price they buy at if you sell enough but I’m not sure). If one fleet can sell enough goods to influence the ecconomy, then obviously the colonies don’t require millions of frighters to supply fully.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2018, 01:54:55 AM »

Are you kidding me?
You telling me that more granularity in colonies would add nothing to the game?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. More granularity is not automatically better. We could be managing individual reloads in our inventories, but we don't cause it wouldn't add anything interesting or meaningful to the game. What would granularity beyond orders of magnitude in colony sizes add to the game?

Difference in output and production and stocks between worlds within the same order of magnitude? (currently there is no difference between a colony of 10 000 000 and a colony of 999 999 999)

You might as well be asking me why aren't all frigates just copies with exact same stats or why do we even need different ship sizes. After all, it's all the same.  10000 ton ship and 99999 ton ship - exactly the same.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2018, 02:00:40 AM »

Also the infrastructure required to handle millions of freighters daily would be insane. Why not just build bigger freighters?

Because "just scale it up" is not a valid solution for everything.
You don't see 3km long mega-freighters on the sea, do you?

There’s also evidence suggesting that a single  freighter is able to supply a significant portion of a colonies demand. In game, if you sell a few thousand resources to a colony, it gives you an indication that you are influencing the economy (I think it lowers the price they buy at if you sell enough but I’m not sure). If one fleet can sell enough goods to influence the ecconomy, then obviously the colonies don’t require millions of frighters to supply fully.

Gameplay and lore and realism don't always match. I guess that was done to make it feel like the player is making a big difference. Also, probably becasue if it was a timed event, the player could make several trips while the shortage last and make more profit. Personally, I don't see it as a bad thing, since it rewards a fast and smart player and makes more sense than a single medium freighter fixing a planetary shortage.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »

Because sea freighters aren't supplying the demand of a group of 10s of billions of people (size 9-10 colonies)? They are supplying cities and maybe countries, which would be like a size 6-8 colony. If there was a need for bigger freighters, they would build them. There is also a lot less room in the ocean than in space, so there are additional downsides to size/lack of maneuverability of large vehicles.

But your second argument (it's ok for lore and gameplay to not match) cuts to the point. If Alex thinks that player facing large scale trade is not good gameplay, then he has every right to not include it in his game, regardless of any argument about whether or not it makes sense with the lore (i.e. realism arguments). If we can agree that it's ok for lore and gameplay to not match, then there is no point in arguing about this any further.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »

An increase in waystation stocks would be nice. by the time you have the resources to build a colony purely to act as a waystation 1500 fuel is not enough to be usefull.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2018, 05:45:41 AM »

Because sea freighters aren't supplying the demand of a group of 10s of billions of people (size 9-10 colonies)? They are supplying cities and maybe countries, which would be like a size 6-8 colony. If there was a need for bigger freighters, they would build them. There is also a lot less room in the ocean than in space, so there are additional downsides to size/lack of maneuverability of large vehicles.

There are tens of thousand of freighters out there. A single freighter sure as hell cannot supply a country, so your own argument falls flat.
The simple answer is that bigger is not always better and that there is no need for a single super-mega-freighter to supply a city/country, when you can have dozens or hunderds do it more economically. Simply put, there is no need for such impossibly huge ships - neither in our world nor in SS. And large things have downsides both in space and in ocean.
You really wouldn't want civilians to have ships that are TOO big anyway, given that you can turn any single one of them into a continent cracker.

But your second argument (it's ok for lore and gameplay to not match) cuts to the point. If Alex thinks that player facing large scale trade is not good gameplay, then he has every right to not include it in his game, regardless of any argument about whether or not it makes sense with the lore (i.e. realism arguments). If we can agree that it's ok for lore and gameplay to not match, then there is no point in arguing about this any further.

Another silly argument.
Any single discussion can be ended with "well, if dev wants X then there's no point in discussing further."

People here are discussing what THEY think is good gameplay.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2018, 06:15:37 AM »

Difference in output and production and stocks between worlds within the same order of magnitude? (currently there is no difference between a colony of 10 000 000 and a colony of 999 999 999)

You might as well be asking me why aren't all frigates just copies with exact same stats or why do we even need different ship sizes. After all, it's all the same.  10000 ton ship and 99999 ton ship - exactly the same.

So the difference would be that instead of having planets with 1000 supplies and planets with 1500 supplies stockpiled, we'd also have planets with 1250 supplies stockpiled? Yeah that does not sound worthwhile or meaningful. We've already got more than enough levels of colony size. Adding half steps or going even more granular wouldn't add anything.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2018, 08:15:11 AM »

There are tens of thousand of freighters out there. A single freighter sure as hell cannot supply a country, so your own argument falls flat.
No, but I also never said it could? I'll repeat the argument one more time with this example in context as well:

A few thousand sea freighters can supply a country (size 8 colony) --> one sea freighter can supply a small town (size 4 ish colony) (thats 10000 people, there are that many undergraduates at my university).

now scale it up

A few thousand space freighters can supply a size 10 colony --> one space freighter can supply a small colony (size 5-6) which is also the majority of colonies int he sector

Another silly argument.
Any single discussion can be ended with "well, if dev wants X then there's no point in discussing further."

People here are discussing what THEY think is good gameplay.
We aren't talking about gameplay though, and haven't been for like a week. We have been arguing about if lore matches gameplay as if that were a reason to include the gameplay. If you want to discuss the merits of the gameplay itself, then feel free, but that's not what we are currently arguing about.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »

So the difference would be that instead of having planets with 1000 supplies and planets with 1500 supplies stockpiled, we'd also have planets with 1250 supplies stockpiled? Yeah that does not sound worthwhile or meaningful. We've already got more than enough levels of colony size. Adding half steps or going even more granular wouldn't add anything.

First and foremost, any established planet with a starport  (especially a bigger one) should be able to fully refuel a fleet.
So no, a lot more supplies on planets. Add a zero at the end of those numbers.

Second, the difference wold also be in production/income, as population would also influence it directly, not in fixed ranges.

As to what is meaningful is subjective.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »

We aren't talking about gameplay though, and haven't been for like a week. We have been arguing about if lore matches gameplay as if that were a reason to include the gameplay. If you want to discuss the merits of the gameplay itself, then feel free, but that's not what we are currently arguing about.

We are talking about everything and have been.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »

First and foremost, any established planet with a starport  (especially a bigger one) should be able to fully refuel a fleet.

Any they are fully refueling fleets. Multiples even. They're just not selling you enough to fully refuel your fleet. That first part might have something to do with the second.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]