Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Any mods that disable phase ships?  (Read 3501 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Any mods that disable phase ships?
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »

Been feeling that they are too good, I can't stop using them, especially when I have to face enemy phase ships, it's becoming boring. Is there a mod that disables all phase ships?

Princess Idle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Any mods that disable phase ships?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 05:05:12 AM »

It depends on what do you mean by "disable".

If you mean you want physically DELETE those ships from the game so no faction fleet ever use them, I think you can edit the faction files to change their fleet composition, which requires some knowledge about game file but not really a worthy issue to create a mod for it.

If you, like what I'm thinking, mean you want some new ship that particularly countering phased ships by disabling them while they are phased (kinda like the quantum disruptor ship system), I've done my research and it seems there's no such ship in the 0.9 mods I have played.

I've done the research because i am annoyed by phase ships just like you. Phase ships are fast and you can't chase them down, they are immune to damage except the 1 second time window when they launch their alpha-strike to destroy your ships, and they choose when to engage the combat, not you. The fact that you can't stop them from running away to safely vent flux is kind of frustrating.

Therefore I've decided to make a ship with a ship system that disable nearby phased ship by force them to overload. And I just shared my ideas with friends on discord. However, it turns out I'm not seeing the whole picture...

To conclude the discussion I had on discord, in general, phased ship are not significantly stronger than other ships. they have their unique advantage, but also have some disadvantage in their design to compensate for that, like fewer weapon slots, less hull/armor, bad logistic stats. Plus they can be countered by carriers and good tracking missiles. There is no need to particularly counter phased ship, especially by disabling they phased status, which is considered almost an insta-kill.

In addition, I believe there are a lot players like playing as a phased ship, I don't think any existing mod want to punish phase ships too much. From my game experience, enemy phased ship only give me trouble in very early game. once i got my first few carriers, I can handle them properly (I mean only the vanilla phase ships, not sure how powerful phased ship are in mods).

I would suggest you just try to learn how to deal with phase ships as you play the game, taking them out of the game will also take out a lot of fun fighting as or against them.

Of course, you can always edit the faction files to delete phased ship, if you choose to do so.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »

Thanks, gonna take a look at the faction files.

Johnjohn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 06:29:53 PM »

So, any mods to disable these stupid things? Carriers and missiles are not a counter to phase ships. They are just you praying AI screws up enough for the ship to die. Phase ships have no counter.

ShadowDragon8685

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 07:31:05 AM »

So, any mods to disable these stupid things? Carriers and missiles are not a counter to phase ships. They are just you praying AI screws up enough for the ship to die. Phase ships have no counter.

I feel the same way. Phase ships are nothing but an obnoxious pain in the ass, and they need a more easily-accessible hard counter than "get carriers and the good fighters."

What *would* be nice is if they had a built-in limitation that prevented the phase cloak from cycling too rapidly; something like at least a five second delay after it drops before it can go up again; phasing can get you into trouble, or out of it, but not both in rapid succession. There needs to be a window in which slow ships can bring heavy ordnance to bear if the phase ship phases up to it, or the phase ship should have to be exposed whilst closing in order to phase out of dodge once it drops its ordnance.

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 02:48:59 PM »

I put two tachyon lances on my odyssey with extended range and the AI will naturally try to move out of range in phase. If they can't get out in time they are as good as dead.

I guess you could potentially outrange them so they can't just pop back in and out to reach your ships by using some long range instant hit weaponry?
Hello!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »

Just FYI, with this and a few other mentions of phase ship issues over time, I finally had another look at their AI to make them more aggressive. With these changes, and with some other changes that make "last few ships mop-up" much much faster, I'm pretty confident than chasing down/waiting out phase ships should be a thing of the past.

See: here, btw. Basically the idea is that they're much more willing to brawl instead of trying to draw it out, especially if they're on their own or at almost any sort of positional advantage. So: thank you for mentioning this.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »

While great for fighting against them, I'm kinda worried that this will make me even less interested in using phase ships (under AI control) in my own fleet - ever since the change to disallow immediate re-phasing they've been kinda fragile (even the Doom), and if you put extra aggressiveness on top of that...

...Hm.  Maybe I should try modding my game to just give all phase ships built-in reinforced bulkheads and blast doors?  Or some form of armor regeneration?  Things to think about, at least.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »

I think it should be alright - they're cognizant of allies being around, and aren't quite as keen unless they're alone. I think this is probably a step towards making them more desirable, not less, since they'll provide more consistent support. For example, Hammerhead + Afflictor beats Hammerhead + Sunder (using some of the default loadouts), though I think it also would before. But the point here being that the Afflictor doesn't get itself killed despite facing some high-firepower enemies.

Edit: there are also some skills that make phase ships more desirable/better!