Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Military buildings should nullify the stability impact of decivilized population  (Read 1922 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I imagine we've got these essentially savage gangs roving around in Mad Max wagons, they roll up to a colony,

Gang leader: "Give me your fuel and supplies!"
Heavy battery commander: "Energize the perimeter guns"

Gang leader: "Give me your fuel and supplies!"
Patrol ship: "Pew pew pew pew pew"

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile

I personally think that any establishment should outright remove the debuff, not just nullify it.

What, you've got a multi-million population living in a stable colony with advanced infrastructure, industries, military buildings and strong government and somehow it's decivilized? What's exactly happening there, lore-wise?

I mean, every city has a few homeless people on the streets, but come on.

Rounin

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yeah, if I can bring in a few billion people in a few cycles then I can surely pull a public school system out of my nether regions to reeducate those roving bands of savages to the advantages of acting prim and proper. (Or just teach them why raiding high tech societies and shaking angry fists at heavy weapon batteries is disadvantageous to one's health)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah, who cares about 10^4 raiders, when colony has 10^8 population. Should gradually lose effect as decivilized pop becomes insignificant compared to new one.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Maybe they are home-grown Pather cells, who do not need population to bypass your defenses and wreck stuff.

Unless they are used for terror attacks, they should become less significant as the colony grows bigger, and disappear entirely once colony hits max size.

Baxter

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I've always felt like decivilized subpopulation should disappear once the colony reaches a certain size, like the tens or hundreds of millions mark. I mean at some point your world is no longer mad max and the people squabbling over limited resources in a world gone mad are just being obstinate. Being the road-lord of all you survey and commander of a thousand warriors is cool but civilized society has videogames and TV.

Captain Draco

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I agree they should disappear  the moment colony grows from outpost/mining colony size of couple (hundred) thousands people and turns onto pan planetary polity of millions whatever faction you are ally yourself would not tolerate bands of riders/useless tribals unless you joined ranks with pirates maybe if only to not let Pather terrorists cover. On the over hand if you go onto tens of billions size you could argue that your hives like cities will have rather large problem with gangs and what not creating another de-civilized zones unless you are willing to crack down on civil liberties and your police force is both ruthless and not corrupt (fat chance for that). But in this sweet spot between 10.000. 000-1.000.000.000 souls? those should be really peaceful. Only problem is you really are not building any civil order structures on planet but I guess Police precincts, jails  and prisons and such are run by those civilian authorities you never have any contact with in game but they are present nether-the-less in Hegemony lore.

Speaking of which I noticed that player build colonies have no station Commander, Governor and Quartermaster unlike all other planets have you can only leave sort of Military Governor in charge... You should be forced to appoint all three of officials or allow some kind of elections in which case you would get random people in charge for one cycle each system would have its own drawbacks of course.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:40:31 AM by Captain Draco »