Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: it would make more sense for hyperspace storms to affect big fleets less  (Read 1542 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I think the current system of hyperspace storms causing bigger fleets to take damage, travel slower, and get blown off course more is illogical. Cuz if you think about it, if it’s more advantageous for ships to travel the hyperspace alone, why doesn’t a smart admiral ask his fleet to split up and travel one by one, then assemble at rally points along the way to redistribute supplies.

Gameplay wise, bigger fleets already suffer from greater fuel and supply consumption, so there already is a strong disincentive to bring a fleet that is bigger than the mission requires.

The penalties should be the other way around imo. Travelling hyperspace should be dangerous alone, and safer in a large group, and also more dangerous for a small ship than a bigger ship, So that a single frigate tanker can’t explore half the sector in a single run, while well prepared large expedition should find more success.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:08:28 AM by goduranus »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: it would make more sense for hyperspace storms to affect big fleets less
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 05:22:18 AM »

It would be nice if bigger fleets were harder to swing off the course, considering they have a harder time manoeuvering in the first place. Other than that, lightning likes to strike twice, or thrice, or however many times it takes to reduce a phaeton to 0% CR. In that sense, bigger fleets are less vulnerable to storms, since one ship out of twenty is less meaningful than one out of five.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 05:39:12 AM »

Emergency Burn should be highlighted more imho as the universal escape out of anything, black holes, storms or enemy fleets. And i'm not sure if Solar Shielding actually reduces the 'boost' you get from hyperstorms, but i really think it should, up to the 75% CR reduction that it boasts, averaged across the fleet. In that case, i can see bigger fleets requiring less combat efficiency out of individual ships, and able to fit Solar Shielding in order to kick out the penalty mostly.

But while we're here, seriously, the default 'map' should be the non-Starscape. I'm a veteran of SS and even i almost completely forgot and ended up playing mostly with the Starscape and not realising where the thicker nebulas/hyperstorms are.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »

From a naval example. Bigger fleets are more dangerous. Ships can hit each other, ships can be lost to the fleet (slows the whole fleet down to look for them)

But bigger ships are safer. They’re more able to ride the waves, which are relatively smaller than they are for small ships.

It might be too difficult to have effects based on the number and size of the fleet but that is how the “visceral” feeling of the storms should likely act

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »

I just think that single small ships can cross storms too easily.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 11:56:23 AM »

It wouldent be a problem if there were more paths between clusters of stars. Also storm riding kind of mooted the point of hyperspace storms being somewhere you can hide from larger fleets chasing you using sensor profile mechanics.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »

Storms are the fast line, and I ride them at every opportunity with a big fleet, with or without Solar Shielding.