Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9a] (WIP) Skill Rework  (Read 6836 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.9a] (WIP) Skill Rework
« on: December 03, 2018, 06:01:53 PM »

This mod aims to modify skills such that optimal but less fun skill configurations are instead replaced with more fun configurations that are (ideally) no less optimal.

Current changes:
  • Loadout Design has its benefits spread over each of the three levels.  At every level you get some max capacitors, some max vents, and some OP.  The first level still gives you the majority of capacitors, the second level the majority of vents, and the third level the majority of OP.
  • Most Combat aptitude skills spread about 20% of their bonus across all ships in your fleet.  No longer do you have to feel like you're wasting lategame potential by picking some up early.  As a side effect, officers are only about 80% as effective.

Under consideration:
Change the way aptitudes work so that you get them for putting points into those skills, instead of needing them TO put points into skills.  This would in my opinion allow a more reactive selection of skills, and eliminate dead levels.  It does however require the first level of skills to actually be worth taking without the ability to quickly hop up to the second or third levels though.

Change most piloted-ship-only skills to also include a (small) fleet boosting component.

Change many (but not all) fleet boosting skills to also include a (small) piloted ship only component.

License is MIT
Source is https://github.com/darloth/ssect-skillrework
Download link is: https://github.com/darloth/ssect-SkillRework/releases/download/v1.1/Skill.Rework.zip
Please note that this is merely an uploaded copy of the compilation output from my own computer (I don't have a fancy build script set up on github or anything), so if you ever do find anything that shouldn't be in there one way or another please let me know so that I can fix it.

Changelog:
Spoiler
Code
*V1.1*
Implemented combat skills with first balance pass.

*V1.0*
Adjusted Loadout Design to spread bonuses across all ranks.
[close]

Known Issues:
Spoiler
  • Some of the tooltips are one line too big, and overdraw onto the UI slightly. 
  • Due to multiplicative stacking of bonuses, numbers are no longer nice and round
[close]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:10:50 PM by Darloth »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] (WIP) Skill Rework
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 02:56:06 AM »

Interdasting. :o

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:33:51 PM »

Most Combat aptitude skills spread about 20% of their bonus across all ships in your fleet.  No longer do you have to feel like you're wasting lategame potential by picking some up early.  As a side effect, officers are only about 80% as effective.

Won't this have strange effects in AI fleets?

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:00 PM »

Under consideration:
Change the way aptitudes work so that you get them for putting points into those skills, instead of needing them TO put points into skills.  This would in my opinion allow a more reactive selection of skills, and eliminate dead levels.  It does however require the first level of skills to actually be worth taking without the ability to quickly hop up to the second or third levels though.

If you make it 3 points an aptitude level, and you start with 1 point in every aptitude, then it takes 1 fewer total skill points to get level 1 in a given skill, exactly as many to get level 2, and 1 more to get level 3. Plus now instead of wasting points in aptitudes, you've got (0,2,4) points in other skills, ones you would probably have gotten anyway. So it doesn't really matter if the first level skills aren't worth taking, you come out ahead unless you really wanted only that one level 3 skill

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:29:23 AM »

Won't this have strange effects in AI fleets?

Nope, checked that.  Officers do not apply fleetwide bonuses to their fleets even if they know them.

If the ai admiral char has some, those will apply, and that's fine.

Since many skills are slightly weaker to compensate ai officers will also be slightly weaker, but so will your own.  if you'd prefer this mod to be entirely additive (just makes skills better) let me know but right now I prefer this.

Quote from: Unreal_One
If you make it 3 points an aptitude level, and you start with 1 point in every aptitude, then it takes 1 fewer total skill points to get level 1 in a given skill, exactly as many to get level 2, and 1 more to get level 3. Plus now instead of wasting points in aptitudes, you've got (0,2,4) points in other skills, ones you would probably have gotten anyway. So it doesn't really matter if the first level skills aren't worth taking, you come out ahead unless you really wanted only that one level 3 skill

I'm going with 4 pts per aptitude, but yes not wasting points on aptitudes is intentional.  This way lets you spread out or specialize but NOT cherry pick

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:52:21 PM »

I like your change.