Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.9a RC10] "Save Copy" description inaccurate & confusing  (Read 1273 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.9a RC10] "Save Copy" description inaccurate & confusing
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »

The text for this reads "This will make a copy of your current save slot.".

'current save slot' is analogous to 'the campaign state when you last saved', not 'the current campaign state'.

This may lead a player to "save copy" their game (expecting it to make a copy of their last save), then do a proper save, thereby destroying the previous save state they were trying to preserve.

I suggest it be reworded to "Save your current game into an alternative save slot." or, "Save a copy of your current game into a new save slot."

Better still, would be to adopt the conventional "Save As..." paradigm that everyone is already familiar with.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a RC10] "Save Copy" description inaccurate & confusing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »

"Save As" won't work since there's no actual choice of naming.

what "Save Copy" actually does is, create a new save slot, save to it, and then make the new save slot current  It's the last part that is omitted from the in-game description, making it critically misleading to new players (it took me like 3 iterations to notice what was really going on, when I started playing in .8)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a RC10] "Save Copy" description inaccurate & confusing
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 05:58:58 PM »

Changed it to:

"This will save a copy of your current game to a new slot, which will become the currently-active slot."

Maybe a bit awkward, but hopefully gets the point across.