Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9a RC10] Apogee AI is bad at using its main weapon  (Read 1264 times)

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
[0.9a RC10] Apogee AI is bad at using its main weapon
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »

For a while I have been noticing that my AI Apogees are sometimes ineffective at using their primary weapons, seemingly not bothering to aim with them and only firing them when they happen to point at an enemy. For example, an Apogee with a tachyon lance is extremely good at sniping weak frigates in my hands, but the AI just doesn't do it. I finally have a clear example of this happening: https://streamable.com/2q63l

It looks kind of like it's aiming with the missile launcher, but deciding not to use it? But I've also seen similar behavior on Apogees armed with guided missiles in the big slot.

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a RC10] Apogee AI is bad at using its main weapon
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »

Oh another note, an Apogee with a Tach Lance can do friendly fire sometimes because the lance doesnt turn off when the ships turns. Ive gotten lanced several times because of this.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »

Honestly, changing the firing arcs for medium energy mounts on the Apogee was one of the most horrible ideas Alex ever had. It made the ship border on being useless.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason - the change of firing arcs didn't account for the AI, hence it tries to aim with its medium energy and large missile slots, thinking that's the main source of firepower. Because what does it have on the front? 1 Large energy and 2 small energy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:55:32 AM by Wapno »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »

Do you happen to have "invert turn-to-cursor behavior" checked? That has some (fixed in dev version) problems with autopilot, which would look similar to this.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »

I do have it checked. If I can reproduce this again, I'll check if toggling it makes a difference.