Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aurora class is awesome sauce!  (Read 6290 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Aurora class is awesome sauce!
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »

My fleet consists of nothing but a trio of these brutes; super speedy yet lethal to just about anything!

Love them!

Though I'd like to find a large mount torpedo to supplement the Sabot SRM/Annihilator Rocket combo I have in the small mounts; does one exist?

Trigerhappi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora class is awesome sauce!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »

Cyclone Reaper Launcher.

Not sure if it is from a mod I'm running or in the vanilla game though.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

Ah yes, just spotted it in the codex.

Must get me some of those! :o
Though I've never seen any ships carrying them... do they spawn in the 'campaign'?

Trigerhappi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »

Ah yes, just spotted it in the codex.

Must get me some of those! :o
Though I've never seen any ships carrying them... do they spawn in the 'campaign'?
Very rarely spawn in the shop. I think it tends to spawn on either Hegemony's or the mercenary's capital ships. Even then, it is a gamble if it will be lootable.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »

There's a reaper launcher for every size mount.  :D  They are hard to find, though.  :/

Probably because they are so ridiculously powerful, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »

Cyclone Reaper Launcher.

Not sure if it is from a mod I'm running or in the vanilla game though.

im pretty sure they spawn on ventures quite a bit on vanilla, if you really want them and have ludicrous amount of money to spend, you can buy a venture from a orbital station, strip the cyclone reaper launchers and sell the venture again. though doing this will cost a lot. like i spent 100k cred on 2 tachyon lances when i did this with a paragon.

EDIT:
ignore this, i got completely confused with another weapon
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:18:27 PM by leonvision »
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »

my friend did the same thing with 2 auroras, an apogee, a falcon and one eagle, he religiously gets rid of any fighters, bombers, frigates, destroyers he manages to cap i told him he should either slap some extra PD on there or get at least a few fighters to keep bombers off his arse, he didn't listen and actually GOT RID of his PD for antimatter blasters and the like. About 2 battles later the TT decided to shut him down and just murdered his entire fleet. Since it was his first REAL battle with the TT ( he fought an aurora and a medusa alone previously which is where he got the second aurora)  he had never seen the Paragon before or a tachyon lance needless to say i was rofling when the giant purple beams come flying across the map :D he was still moving up to attack so his shields were down :D then while he was busy getting his shield up to deal with the paragon a bunch of bombers flew up his arse :D i rofl'd more as his ship exploded into a nice blue fireball. The paragon and its fighters basically did the same thing to all of his ships the whole time i was rofl-ing, he now has fighters. heh.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:44:40 AM »

Delicious copypasta!

Hull Mods
Stabilized Shields (This cuts down the flux usage by an incredible amount.  Since you'll have shields up for the vast majority of the time in an Aurora, this is equivalent to about 20 flux vents and only costs 8 OP.  There's a reason that this is on the Aurora by default.)
Extended Missile Racks (Holy ***, this is worth the money.  Instead of being able to fire three salvos of the Harpoons and five Reaper torpedoes, I can fire five salvos of Harpoons and eight Reaper torpedoes.  Nearly doubling the effective killing capabilities of this variant means that the extended racks are mandatory.)
Augmented Engines (This is well worth the exorbitant cost.  Being able to keep up with and sometimes outrun a Medusa is amazingly useful.  Few ships can get away from me using this mod, plus it allows circle strafing at a high enough speed to avoid many projectile weapons.)
Additional Thrusters (Or whatever it's called, this adds maneuverability to the ship so that it can turn very quickly.  This is very useful for just about everything that this ship does, as it can keep the Pulse Lasers pointed on the enemy, it can swing the ship around to dodge missiles, it helps the ship strafe the enemy to avoid some projectile weapons, and it allows the torpedo tube to be used effectively.)

Weapons Group 1 (Linked)
2x Pulse Laser [Two front medium turrets] (This weapon is able to put the pressure on the enemy destroyer/cruiser/capship shields until they eventually drop, and has a good enough range to stay out of the way of most other weapons, and they are rapid-fire and turn fast enough to drop any and all fighter/bomber wings and frigates that come near.  Seriously, I can just hold the trigger down and watch the destruction.  The pulse laser is by far the best weapon in the game for its OP cost.)

Weapons Group 2 (Linked, Automatic)
3x IR Pulse Laser [Three front small turrets] (These help the full Pulse Lasers deal damage.  The constant non-beam pressure brings down shields very effectively and is virtually impossible to dodge.  Because of the volume of fire, missiles and fighters also fall prey to the dakkadakkadakkadakka.)
3x LR PD Laser [Two rear small turrets and one rear medium turret] (These offer extra missile protection from behind.  Since the shields take a while to extend to the back, this is fairly important.  Plus, you can swing the ship around with the increased turn speed to take out some missiles and fighters using these, if you really want to.)

Weapons Group 3
1x Cyclone Reaper Tube [Front heavy hardpoint] (We don't have enough OP for a Hurricane MIRV, so we use Reapers instead.  This is very good for putting ships into overload since the damage is so high.  And if the enemy ship drops their shields instead of going into overload...)

Weapons Group 4 (Linked)
4x Harpoon Rack [Four front small hardpoints] (Oh my God these things are godlike.  These are linked because you will only need to fire these off all at once.  With the extended racks, you get 5 salvos of 4 missiles, which is enough to drop a Paragon.  Each salvo does 3,000 explosive damage, meaning that if you get the other ship to drop shields and you use your supercharged engines to swing around to the rear or an area of exposed hull, you can let loose with your IR Pulse Lasers, Pulse Lasers, the Reaper Tube, and -- most importantly -- the frontal Harpoons.  Nothing survives.)

The rest of the OPs are used for Flux Vents.  Being able to tank lots of hits while constantly pounding on the enemy with Pulse Lasers is very valuable.

The important part is the frontal array of Harpoons which give meaning to my flagship's name: ISS Ezio, Aurora-Class Assassin Cruiser.  Being able to deal 15,000 explosive damage in five seconds is enormously powerful.  As soon as you get behind an unshielded ship, that ship is ***.

I prefer 4 harpoons over 4 reapers because the harpoons are guaranteed to hit and are (iirc) better on the OP cost.  Plus they don't have a chance of damaging yourself.  With extended racks, however, a frontal assault of 5 reaper torpedoes is no less than 20,000 damage at once, versus the 1 reaper and 20 harpoons which deal 19,000 damage over 5 seconds, and in the former you have room for one more salvo (1 + 50% rounds up to 2 shots in that single-shot tube, amusingly).  Whatever floats your boat, really.  The pulse lasers and engine boosts are essential, however.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:46 AM »

So I'm not alone in leaving the Aurora's rear facing medium energy mount empty?

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:46:45 AM »

I tried that fitting out on a mission and it isn't too bad. Beat the mission with 75% (lost all of my fighters/bombers). The Aurora is surprisingly resilant too, I took many hits to the hull (due to my stupidity) and it just kept on going. The crazy thing with it though is the speed. With the hull mods it is crazy fast... Still I'm not sold on the harpoon MRMs.... Yes they are good missiles, but there is just too few of them. I hate small missile slots on the bigger ships because by the time I have a Aurora, 3-5 missiles per tube just doesn't cut it... Oh well..

:)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »

Personally I drop the Pilum and go for 4 linked sabots and 1 Cyclone reaper launcher for the forward missiles. Shield overload + all the torpedoes you can fire = death.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »

The aurora class is basically a capital ship, being only one point off of being classified as one, but keeping the speed of a cruiser.