Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Internal Security Building  (Read 818 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Internal Security Building
« on: November 27, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »

I feel rather conflicted posting this because it really sounds like the sort of thing horrible dictators like to do... but with the Luddic Path blowing up stuff in your colony so regularly, the need for some sort of (maybe upgradable) internal security building that would have a chance of STOPPING this sort of event, along with similar ones, and maybe reducing smuggling as well if it ever has some sort of effect on you is becoming clear.

Perhaps this would reduce accessibility (and maybe increase tariffs) to represent the additional red tape, security checks, and general observation that would presumably act against free trade and enterprise, and I suspect such a building would be incompatible with a free port?

If the Lionguard HQ were also given a similar feature, it would make Sindria a lot less vulnerable to being disrupted that way as well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Internal Security Building
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:33:00 PM »

What good are our ground defenses if they are incompetent at flushing out terror cells?

I do not use Free Port, stability is high, and I keep a nice military that can take on anything thrown at it except for savages with pitchforks and torches.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 05:56:24 PM »

What good are our ground defenses if they are incompetent at flushing out terror cells?
Those ground defenses are mainly there to stop ships from landing and dropping off troops and mechs
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »

they are sky-scraper tall interplanetary batteries fixed permanently towards the heavens meant to shoot down orbiting fleets
I would be incredibly annoyed if Alex made them affective in countering bombings & sabotage being carried out by people on foot beneath them lol

edit: but, that mindset just might guarantee you a comfy seat in high command within the US military lol

I feel rather conflicted posting this because it really sounds like the sort of thing horrible dictators like to do...

TLDR stuff ->
Spoiler
IRL (effective) counter-espionage actually looks a lot like building infrastructure for vulnerable communities for free with the only caveat being that the communities you do it for are those willing to oust saboteurs to you. Like, it's normal to picture certain super-powers bombing cities into dust from orbit bc a country three countries over did a terrorism when you imagine "counter-terrorism", but that's just the hilariously ineffective stratagem that has led to them achieving little-to-nothing in a long enough time that there were people born after the initiation of said war who became old enough to sign up for and then die in said same war).
Consider also: China's annexation of Tibet, which achieved a lot more by just building a train line from Beijing to cause Tibetans to have a lot of Chinese Nationals as neighbors and co-workers, or the USSR's annexation of Ukraine where they did basically the same thing (except way more awfully) and have resulted in the Ukraine's political ability to maintain independence of post-collapse Russia being crippled even to this day.
[close]

TLDR; counter-insurgency doesn't have to look like the gestapo, it just does when it's poorly done. Counter-pather insurgency in SS could just be your administrator running a program where augmented citizens have their housing subsidized if they move near and work in light industry & farming districts that use little-if-any heavy machinery, so that Pather sympathisers who'd prefer to move and work in light industries that mesh well with their ideologies have a much harder time othering industrialized urbanites bc now their neighbor and coworker Jim is half cyborg himself and he's not such a bad fellow.
Or also that low-industry districts of a colony (that are heavy on Pather recruitment) that out Pather cells within themselves get bumped up to the top of the line for having their infrastructure refurbished, while those that don't have their infrastructure projects accidentally dropped out of the queue so they're economically pressured to comply -- and if one community persistently harbors saboteurs and never turns any in, they'd long-term flounder into poverty compared to their neighboring communities who do who then begin to consume their community until the harborers are basically gentrified out of their own homes.

shoot, my TLDR is longer than the original text. Aw well, hit post
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:26:56 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then