Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] SkilledUp 1.1 - Sane character progression after level 50!  (Read 179721 times)

Buddah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] SkilledUp 1.0 - Sane character progression after level 50!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »

So I downloaded this and stuck it in my mod folder but it doesn't seem to be working. Just hit level 50 and I'm capped out. Anyone seen that happen?

canned Tomatoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »

So I downloaded this and stuck it in my mod folder but it doesn't seem to be working. Just hit level 50 and I'm capped out. Anyone seen that happen?
It works as you would expect for me.
As for troubleshooting
Version 1.1 of the mod? On the right Game version?
And you checked the box in the launcher?
Have you unzipped the downloaded file?
After all that, you could check with version checker if it is activated in your game.

And you could start a new character, use console commands and give yourself a lot of xp to see if SkilledUp works.
That is everything I can think of that might be wrong.

Buddah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 07:01:15 PM »

User error on this one.....I forgot to turn it on ::)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »

This mod is great!

For a while, I've run a rule in my game, limiting what skills I can pick.
Specifically, I can only have 2+2x skillpoints in each tree, with x being the least number of skillpoints in any tree.

Aside from meaning I can't quite rush to get a t3 skill as trivially as before, the general idea is to let me use all four trees, especially combat, without feeling like I was making a bad decision. Combat boosts are fun, but poor investments compared to things that buff your whole fleet.

The downside was that although I could remove the upper player level, the exponential(Quadradic?) experience cost was still a problem. So this mod fixes that.

Only thing I could request is some constants to modify and comments in the file to easily explain how it works, or maybe just a scalar. I am not exactly good with looking at code and getting an equation, or modifying said equation.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Salano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »

FYI, the title still indicates that the mod is version 1.0.

bonomel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »

FYI, the title still indicates that the mod is version 1.0.

Thank you! Didn't notice that before!
So, my girlfriend is like a phase ship. High maintenance.. and invisible.

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] SkilledUp 1.1 - Sane character progression after level 50!
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2019, 02:55:32 AM »

This sounds really neat.  as the skill system requires 12 levels just to be able to unlock ass aspects at lev 3 you can quite quickly run into this game becoming a XP grinding fest.  Just park your massive fleet in a high warning sector and fight for months.  just to get 1 combat level... 

The space lord just gets bored of winning. 

The game as it is makes you kinda choose to run a empire, command a ship, manage a fleet, or do random stuff.  You might be able to manage 2 of these things well.

Kalarima

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 10:47:56 AM »

Thanks for the mod it has become my must have mod for the game :)

Is there any chance of making something similar for officers aswell btw? i know you can change game rules to allow them to lvl up above 20 but the game wont give you the normal skill choice so you cant actually do it it seems...

bonomel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2020, 12:07:33 AM »

Hey sorry for the late reply. Currently I am on a bit of a Starsector hiatus, so I haven't been around much! Good to hear you like this little mod, thanks.

Also thanks for the suggestion. It's a neat idea, but not something that I would be interested in making right now :) Officers and skills will be overhauled in the next big update, so any work I would do on this will very likely be all for naught. But we'll see. Whenever I come back to the game, I might look into doing a bit of modding again too. Who knows, right? :D
So, my girlfriend is like a phase ship. High maintenance.. and invisible.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2020, 01:56:09 AM »

Is there any chance of making something similar for officers aswell btw? i know you can change game rules to allow them to lvl up above 20 but the game wont give you the normal skill choice so you cant actually do it it seems...

Not sure what you mean.  Go into the game's own base files and raise their level limit to 29.  Just don't go over 29.  Works fine.

Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json

Line 453:

"officerMaxLevel":29,

And you're done.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2020, 10:54:16 AM »

Just don't go over 29.
For clarity, what happens when you set an officer to have more than 29 levels is; they level up, but have no possible skills to choose from as there's no more room in the bar, so the skill points cannot be spent and sit there forever being a mild annoyance.

It won't break your game. But it doesn't give you any benefit, and just looks untidy. And that's terrible!

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 04:12:41 PM »

^ What they said.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2020, 01:50:22 PM »

What a fantastic mod! Thank you very much for making this.

The only change I'd suggest is to cap character level at 100 for the sake of having a nice round number. Just give the player those three extra skill points at the start, speed up the tedious early game a bit as well.

Amen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 07:28:09 AM »

Just don't go over 29.
For clarity, what happens when you set an officer to have more than 29 levels is; they level up, but have no possible skills to choose from as there's no more room in the bar, so the skill points cannot be spent and sit there forever being a mild annoyance.

It won't break your game. But it doesn't give you any benefit, and just looks untidy. And that's terrible!

That sad  :'(
Maybe add additional window or something like that can resolve this problem?

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2020, 01:08:37 AM »

Hey man, I love your mod but is there a way to modify it to 50% more than your original values its to fast leveling up I find myself getting leveled up easily. And I have no clue what your custom multipliers do would you mind giving me a point in the right direction?
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5