Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: System Defense Boats/Monitors?  (Read 1275 times)

Troika

• Commander
    • View Profile
System Defense Boats/Monitors?
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »

How about adding some (NPC only for obvious reasons) ships that basically operate in-system only? The basic idea is that a ship without hyperdrive and without as much fuel (since it won't be travelling to other stars) could use the saved weight and space for more combat oriented purposes, allowing them to theoretically be superior to full out starships of the same class. Seems like they might especially see use for places that can't easily produce or aquire FTL components, but still need to worry about being attacked, or for factions with a lot of territory, but not quite enough ships to cover all of it well.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: System Defense Boats/Monitors?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »

Wouldn't system defense ships not need any fuel? No hyperdrive to use it.

Hmm, couldn't you have a hyperdrive mod, and small, medium, big fuel tank mods? Or keep it simple with only one hyperdrive with fuel tank mod.

You add the hyperdrive and fuel tank mod. It costs a big chunk of money. Also increases ship maintenance and recovery supply costs. Thinking about it I like the idea that adding a ship mod costs money.

So you can use all the current hulls for either system defense or interstellar. This might be a very nice addition to the game. Cheap hulls defending planets. Much more expensive interstellar fleets trading and raiding.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:56:26 PM »

Seems like just another way to troll the player, since player has to use hyperspace-capable ships only.

Every enemy patrol and their dog having extra OP (from negative cost hullmod that removes hyperdrive and fuel tanks)? I mean, yeah it adds difficulty. But I'm not too fond of difficulty by stat inflation.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 12:02:50 AM »

Hmm, I hadn't considered having the hyperdrive with fuel tank mod cost any OP. I guess it could cost a few OP, like 5 or something. I also didn't like the idea of the lack of a hyperdrive making a hull much more deadly.

In the beginning of their game, a player would need to work up to buying the mod. Stretch out the start a little.

Salvage a real nice derelict in a system. Opps, it has no hyperdrive. Hmm, no dock to fit it with one. Tears of sadness.  :)

Or the situation is; No friendly dock in the system. You have to sneak in to get the hyperdrive added.

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »

They wouldn't have to be NPC only; in fact, we already have a ship specifically designed to help others move around: the Ox Tug.

On the other hand, I don't see this being a particularly compelling addition to gameplay, unless it was very carefully balanced.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:47:12 AM »

System Defense Boats make sense. I see them as beefed up frigates/gunboats there to supplement defenses.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 01:56:26 AM »

There are already sortof ships like this - have a look at the Enforcer destroyer.

Compared to many destroyers, it's a massive fuel hog - but it does great work!

It might be simpler to make ships like this that have a hyperdrive but it's not a good one.  +50% or +100 or even 200% fuel cost compared to usual, burn speeds -1 or -2 or even -3 to usual.

That way, players can use them, move them around, and it explains how they get places that don't have heavy industry (remember it's pretty rare in the vanilla sector to actually have a shipyard!)

It also gives a new consideration above the size of your ships - do you want fuel efficient ships, or not?  Currently you only really see this in a couple of ships... only ones I can think of are Enforcer (bad fuel efficiency for a destroyer) and Apogee (Great fuel efficiency for a cruiser)