Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best kind of PD and why.  (Read 22383 times)

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Best kind of PD and why.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »

I don't like any of the PD. But if I had to pick it would probably be the Dual MG because it has a decent range and does kinetic damage (I think) so it is actually useful outside of shooting fighters/missiles. Though if I had a available medium, I would fit a flak as well.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »

I use Dual MG on frigates and destroyers, they're lovely. On larger ships I use LRPD. Wasps are much better of course, but in any case the best course is to turn your shield to the shots and fly into them. As long as you're not surrounded by missiles (which shouldn't happen unless you screw up).

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:56 AM »

Flak, there is no substitute.

This.  Dual flak is also awesome but it's kinda pricey for my taste.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »

Light needlers with point defense Ai.
Try it out. Works extremely well against everything.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »

I'll give a rundown of my thoughts of each PD weapon:

PD laser: needs range-boosting hullmods on anything bigger than a frigate really, but is quite good

LR PD laser: What a joke; don't bother with them unless there is utterly no other weapon you can find to put in the slot

burst PD: nice against fighters and single large missiles, but large numbers of small missiles or bombs will very quickly overwhelm them

heavy burst PD: basically an extreme version of the above. Essentially only useful for sniping MIRVs before they split & taking out torps. Also good vs. fighters, but very, very easy to overwhelm.

Guardian: The burst PD idea taken to its logical extreme. This isn't really a conventional PD at all; it is so front-loaded, it makes a poor normal PD, but it is rather effective in a very-low-flux/s anti-frigate/fighter role.

machine gun family: cheap, gets the job done, not the best PD in the world by a long shot, but it has the bonus of being rather effective against shields

vulcan cannon: its like having a bunch of machine guns in one. but with very little ammo

swarmer missile: missiles to take out fighters, though their low ammo count and range makes them less valuable on non-fighters/bombers.

flak: :D

dual flak:  ;D

and thats all I remember off hand

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »

my thoughts run fairly close to what Avan stated.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »

Curious as to what Avan thinks of tactical lasers with point defense AI.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

You get the best bargain on a capship, where they benefit enormously from the +50% range boost of the targeting sensor mod, and capships often have many small energy mounts for them. Advanced optics has the cost of the 50% turn rate reduction, and they were never the fastest-moving turrets for use as PD, so it hurts their performance, but then again, they have massive range for PD on a frigate or destroyer which don't get viable boosts from the targeting sensors (for the tac laser anyways), so its not like its essential for them. I'd still prefer using PD lasers on small ships, and tac lasers on large ones.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

Is LR PD laser really that bad compared to the others? Even to the normal PD laser?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 02:34:37 PM »

Is LR PD laser really that bad compared to the others? Even to the normal PD laser?
Lr pd has more range than ordinary pd, but the damage really sucks. It can't destroy a rocket quickly.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »

So, bad for slow ships, okay or good for fast ships?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »

Pretty much, yeah, but i'd opt for the ordinary pd laser with advanced optics and extra turret turning speed. Much better for fast ships.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »

pd laser

range :325
DPS: 75
turn rate: 75
flux per second: 50

LR PD laser

range 400
DPS:  50
turn rate: 50
flux per second: 40

lets take a look at missile speeds

50 speed missiles
phase charge launcher: hp 250 (3.3 seconds for pd to kill or about 165 range.) (5 seconds LR PD to kill or about 250 range.)

150 speed missiles
Atropos torpedo hp: 250 (3.3 seconds for pd to kill or about 495 range.) (5 seconds LR PD to kill or about 750 range.) ( i hope you have more than one hitting them LOL)
sabot SRM hp: 300 (4 seconds for pd to kill or about 600 range) (6 seconds LR PD to kill or about 900 range.) (again hope you are hitting it with more than one PD laser)

200 speed missile
pilum LRM hp: 75 (1 second for pd to kill or about 200 range) (1.5 seconds LR PD to kill or about 300 range)

250 speed missiles
swarmer SRM hp: 25 (0.3 seconds for pd to kill or about 83 range) (0.5 seconds for LR PD to kill or about 125 range)
annihilator rockets hp: 50 (0.6 seconds for pd to kill or about 150 range) (1 second for LR PD to kill or about 250 range)
hurricane MIRV (before split) hp: 200 (2.6 seconds for pd to kill or about 650 range) (4 seconds for LR PD to kill or about 1000 range)

300 speed missiles
reaper class torpedoes hp: 400 (5.3 seconds for pd to kill or about 1600 range) (8 seconds for LR PD to kill or about 2400 range) (i hope you can maneuver or put a lot of hurting on these things)
salamander MRM hp: 150 (2 seconds for pd to kill or about 600 range) (3 seconds for LR PD to kill or about 900 range)
harpoon MRM hp:100 (1.3 seconds for pd to kill or about 400 range) (2 seconds for LR PD to kill or about 600 range)

obviously some of these missiles split up or come in groups so... for those i hope you have serious area PD or your going to be takeing damage.

these numbers were taken from starfarer/starfarer-core/data/weapons/weapon_data
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »

Oh wow, that's... Wow.

I am so modifying my ships ASAP.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »

Not to be overly noobish but.... where the hell do you get normal PD lasers? I've only ever seen LR or Burst.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4