Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Raise fleet cap to 40 ships or bring back old-school Fleet Points/Logistics  (Read 4328 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Back in 0.7, enemies routinely had about 35+ ships (including fighters when they counted as ships), exceeding your fleet cap of 25.

Back in 0.8, fleet cap was raised to 30, and nearly all AI fleets obeyed that limit.  Few exceeded it by a few ships, but that was rare.

Today in 0.9, endgame AI fleets routinely have about 40 ships (not including fighters), give or take a few, especially the expedition fleets, though some pirate fleets can be ridiculously excessive.  It is plainly obvious they are breaking the fleet cap by more than a few ships like in 0.7.

Also, factions can send up to five expeditions with 40+ ships at you.  You can only raid with your single fleet with up to 30 ships.

I like to be able to match numbers against the AI like in 0.8.  If bringing 40 big ships seems like overkill, then bring back Logistics so player can choose fewer big ships or more small ships.

Bigger endgame fleets contribute to longer battles and more peak performance problems with bigger ships.  Even cruisers can run out of peak performance.  I have abandoned small ships for combat because they simply do not last long enough.  (I already did in 0.8, but there is less incentive for small ships in 0.9 late-game combat.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:10:30 AM by Megas »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raise fleet cap to 40 ships or bring back old-school Logistics
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »

It's not just fleet size per se that is a problem, you also only get salvage ship offers up to limit. So full 30 ships fleet gets none.

Frankly, I don't see a reason for campaign level limit to exist at all. Campaign-wise we already have supplies/fuel costs to balance out. If the only reason is combat performance when too many ships are present, that's where limit should be (DP or 30 ships, whatever is hit first).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Even at 500 battle map-size, I can only deploy about ten ships.  However, if I lose ships in combat or peak performance expiration rears its ugly head, I want reinforcements, and that is not really an option if the rest of my fleet slots are tied up with logistics ships and/or few vacancies reserved for recovering ships my heavy industry cannot produce.

Also, against multiple endgame fleets in separate fights, chain-battling means I may need replacement ships while main battle ships sit the fight out.

Speaking of chain-battling, Efficiency Overhaul is great for chain-battling, provided ships do not take too much damage from combat.

P.S.  You still do not get offered more ships to recover than you can take, making that extra chance to recover ships perk in Recovery Operations useless.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

To make proper use of extra ships as reinforcements player would also need ability to reassign officers on reinforcements screen or at least between combat rounds. Just raising slot count is not enough.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Player does not need officers.  They are (very) nice, but not required.  Sure, reassignment is good.  (So far, I only used four low-level officers, mostly to remove Reinforced Bulkheads requirement for guaranteed ship recovery.)

I want to match numbers with AI fleets, at least enough so that logistics ships does not prevent me from bringing reinforcements to replace fallen ships in combat.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Officer-less ship is about as useful as half same ship with level 20 officer (which they'll all reach eventually). That's beyond mere nice.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Officer-less ship is about as useful as half same ship with level 20 officer (which they'll all reach eventually). That's beyond mere nice.
Even so, I do not want inability to swap officers be a blocker to a higher fleet cap.  Right now, player stuck with 30 ships while AI routinely exceeds that by hovering around 40 means the AI is blatantly cheating.  Exceeding by a few ships rarely like in 0.8 is not a problem, but commonly and easily seen excess is a problem.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raise fleet cap to 40 ships or bring back old-school Logistics
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:06:57 AM »

I think this is one of those things that we're experiencing a problem because the game isn't feature complete yet. Since "orders" is a tab I think it's safe to assume we'll be able to have friendly fleets tag along and thus increase the number of ships we can fight alongside with.

It's not just fleet size per se that is a problem, you also only get salvage ship offers up to limit. So full 30 ships fleet gets none.

Wow, and here I though that the ship drop value had been nerfed in this version. This should really be changed.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Im hauling dooms and harbingers with fleet to offset deployment points vs bigger fleets. It works and phase ships got plenty of fuel space.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

There is no need for more features to raise fleet cap.  I am fine with 30 ships as long as the AI (mostly) obeys that limit, like they used to in 0.8.  Now they do not.  Instead they hover around 40 ships.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raise fleet cap to 40 ships or bring back old-school Fleet Points/Logistics
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »

There is no need for more features to raise fleet cap.  I am fine with 30 ships as long as the AI (mostly) obeys that limit, like they used to in 0.8.  Now they do not.  Instead they hover around 40 ships.

Why? As the player, there are things that you can do that the AI can't. Why isn't it fair that the AI can do some things that you can't? Especially when the AI might need those extra 10 ships to pose any kind of threat?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »

Don't have time to respond in full now, but... they can bring more fleets, while not breaking fleet cap.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »

bring back old-school Fleet Points/Logistics
Yes please. This has always been better than a hard numerical limit. Far more granular for fleet composition.

Or at the very least allow ships to be added to a maxed out fleet auto-mothballed. So you can have x number of active ships, plus any number of inactive ships so long as you're willing to pay the fuel cost.
You could swap ships out by mothballing an active ship then re-activating another, with the cost being supplies to recover CR + time.

This would then avoid the frustration of not being able to recover ships while using a useful fleet.

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »

I don't see the point of a hardcap of fleetsize in the first place. Supply/fuel consumtion is a natural softcap already. Fleet cap needs to be like 1000 or only be limited by technical limitations. I know Dickersons can field 200+ ships (at least in 0.8a) in a single fleet, so no reason the player can't.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:40:40 AM by Shad »

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »

There is no need for more features to raise fleet cap.  I am fine with 30 ships as long as the AI (mostly) obeys that limit, like they used to in 0.8.  Now they do not.  Instead they hover around 40 ships.

Why? As the player, there are things that you can do that the AI can't. Why isn't it fair that the AI can do some things that you can't? Especially when the AI might need those extra 10 ships to pose any kind of threat?

Agreed. This has been discussed here before, it's pointless to have the AI and the player follow the same rules. I rather that the game focuses on what would create the best gameplay experience over trying to make the game "fair" between the humans and algorithms. In my experience defending stations against those extra large fleets have been more than a welcome challenge.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:00:06 AM by Cyan Leader »
Pages: [1] 2