Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 0.9a RC10 - Binary Orange & Neutron Star has habitable Desert Planet  (Read 1101 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile

Just came across this:
Spoiler
[close]

Seems to be perfectly fine however:
Spoiler
[close]

Seems that the Neutron Star is orbiting around the K-Star as well; so perhaps the engine only looks at the main star when considering habitable planets?

I'm not an Astrophysicist, but Neutron Stars should be more massive than a K-Class Star (Orange: 0.8 solar masses) or G-Class Star (Yellow: eg our sun) with a minimum mass of 1.4 solar masses... so it just seems odd to have a Neutron star orbiting the K-Star rather than the other way around.

XazoTak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 0.9a RC10 - Binary Orange & Neutron Star has habitable Desert Planet
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 04:18:41 AM »

Although this game supports circumbinary/circumtrinary systems, where planets orbit around the centre of mass of multiple stars and presumably respect the effects of all those stars, it sounds like you got a system that was meant to be circumbinary but instead had the planets only orbit and acknowledge one star.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 0.9a RC10 - Binary Orange & Neutron Star has habitable Desert Planet
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »

Although this game supports circumbinary/circumtrinary systems, where planets orbit around the centre of mass of multiple stars and presumably respect the effects of all those stars, it sounds like you got a system that was meant to be circumbinary but instead had the planets only orbit and acknowledge one star.

After originally posting this I noticed the K-Class star does indeed orbit the Neutron star; just very slowly, can't believe I didn't notice that before....really cool to see!

It's still moving far too slowly for what feels right to me (The Barycenter should be closer to the Neuton Star rather than the K-class star)

The original issue however was the Habitable planet with the Neutron Star beam blasting away at it; don't know of any sunscreens that block Gamma rays ;D