Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Beam back to base  (Read 1126 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Beam back to base
« on: November 25, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »

Problem: You have to babysit colonies. Even if the frequency of the attacks is reduced in future updates, it will still interrupt your exploration, trade, whatever you had going on.
Solution: A way to get your character immediately to a colony when it is attacked. Maybe you can just remote control a secondary stored fleet. Either at any time, or only via relay. That fleet can't leave the system as long as it is remote controlled.
Your original fleet just chills while you are "away", maybe at reduced maintenance.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Beam back to base
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:46:02 PM »

multiple player characters.
Hear me out; Alex has put a LOT of work to make the PC's function exactly the same as AI's officers, so there's no actual actual reason for late-game players to not be able to set their current fleet to go hide in an asteroid belt while you body-jump into the body of a system patrol commander that's prepping defenses of your colony, defend said colony and then quantum leap back into your primary character
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »

I much prefer multiple characters, or being able to handle station defense yourself, as opposed to beaming anything. Seems a bit high-tech for the setting.

Do you know of any game where fast travel was a good idea that didn't kill immersion?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:51:05 PM by Schwartz »

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »

We need arcane colony building to remote pilot some of the colony defense fleets or star trek beaming up. Im currently stacked my typical fleet template copy at all colonies and fly between them in a fast frigate. Which is faster than travel with actual fleet. Maybe some local gate reactivation for rapid transport between systems with gates?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »

Max colony skills to build waystation colonies has been a big help to set up save points in a way.  Not quite the idea, but eases the pain of huge trips.  Of course, no help for those who do not get colony skills.

Administrators could be secondary player characters.