Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Nebula Mapping  (Read 3069 times)

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
Nebula Mapping
« on: June 18, 2019, 12:30:36 AM »

Is there any tool to write notes on the starmap (text and lines)?

Asking that because the nebula clouds are rather large (like 5 LY and more) and finding the paths and then noting where are the 'channels/tendrils' they form would be interesting...

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Nebula Mapping
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 03:36:22 AM »

Yeah, ability to add arbitrary notes as Intel would be really cool. Also ability to filter planets by planetary conditions.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:39 PM »

Especially the ability to draw lines, cuz sometimes there are passages through the hyperspace clouds that’s not apparent from looking at the map.

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:03:37 PM »

In the meantime I resort to making a screenshot of the map then editing it under a paint program, while often double checking it when I travel!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »

Press "1" with map opened, it disables starscape. Take a look at those options at the bottom of the map in general, they are useful.

Paul_Kauphart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:21:02 AM »

Unfortunately, the map with the starscape disabled doesn't seem to match the actual deep hyperspace clouds.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »

It's a bit blurry, but it definitely shows you where there's lots of deep hyperspace and where it is clear.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »

Map is wrong - it is not accurate about multiple clear pathways through dense hyperspace clouds. Exploration of dense clouds shows multiple clear areas and pathways which is not present on hyperspace map view. Either this is a bug or a feature. Without any means to mark clear passages in a game i take notes in a text file.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »

Some of the small pathways are not always super obvious, but they usually appear to some degree on the map in my games if I inspect closely. Certainly the major pathways are easily seen.