Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Colony sizes ad industry limits make no sense  (Read 17033 times)

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Colony sizes ad industry limits make no sense
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »

No.  If I want to explore a bunch of worlds or travel more than half the sector to explore Red Planet, and a colony threat or pirate raid alert flashes, if I do not want to see something burn down, I need to stop what I want to do and deal with it.
no? I don't think there's any event that instantly burn down a colony to zero that quick. Let it burn if you want that red planet, its the cost of going to it. Why do you think no one but you made it. You can let pirates raids for month without real repercussion except some loss of money.

Population growth.  The extra money from illegal income is nice, but I want a big colony most.  If Growth Incentives were like last release, I would consider no Free Port.  But since almost half of all population growth comes from Free Port, I need it to get my colony growing faster after it reaches size 6.  It takes five in-game years to grow from size 7 to 8.  I like to reach size 10, and I would want to do it within the character's lifetime.
Well lives with the expedition if you want the growth so much. Its a CHOICE, either you take the expedition, or the growth. I can make a mod that gives you a tier 10 world right at the start. Would it satisfy you? No, because you wanna play toward it. So be happy you got all these expedition.

I prefer to find colony close to core, but if the seed generates nothing good close but great stuff out there in the fringe, I take the good stuff.  Not all seeds will generate good colony locations near core.
Once again, its a CHOICE, no one forces you to absolutely build your colony on the super duper world of awesome that is 4 in game years away from the core. A cheap close world work just as well. Proximity is just an additional value on the worth of a world that is well worth some % hazard rating. If you do exile yourself, don't complain if the sector burns down while you are away.

I think I was too generous of your original assessment. You do not seem to understand the value of choices and complain about self inflicted or even self imposed difficulties. Each balancing pass must be made by considering the general relation of goals and reason to create battle. That each of the things you complain about are linked to choices speak to a decent base for the gameplay. Remember that the goal of the game is to get you into nice space battle

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 03:48:29 AM »

Choices are cool and all, but the game isn't about tediously saving the hegemony from 6dmod pirate junk that just keeps spawning indefinitely. A choice between saving the core and exploring the fringe isn't the one that should be in the game. If there was some kind of plot driven greater force, maybe, but not from *** pirates.

Though I haven't seen pirates decivilise anything in my playthrough so far and I'm past level 50 already, so I can't really vouch for validity of this choice being a thing.

Thought that's totally besides the topic of this thread.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 06:42:28 AM »

@ lethargie:  No single event burns down a world, but several in a row can.  I have ignored pirates for a year or more, and watch raids against core worlds succeed repeatedly time after time because core worlds seem helpless against them.  As a result, Asharu decivilized in one game.  After that experience, I am very paranoid over pirate raids.  Other games, some worlds got uncomfortably low stability after two or more successful raids.  That is no good if I want core to live.  Am I expected to play space cop with not enough time to travel to search for loot I should get (like blueprint packs or nanoforges), missions I want to do (especially special ones), or possible colony locations?  Traveling takes time, especially if player does not have Navigation.  Traveling without Navigation is miserable enough that I now think it is must-have.

I live with expeditions or other so-called "choices", but that does not mean I have to like it, especially if the choices seem forced, that is the alternative is bad enough that it is not really a (good) choice.  I do not want to spend nearly every moment babysitting a colony, whether mine or a core world.

I think there are too many battles forced on you if you do not want bad things happen to you (directly or indirectly).  Much of it is pirates breaking the core worlds non-stop.  (There needs to be a delay before bases respawn to attack core worlds again so player can have a breather.)  Expeditions is probably the least annoying after I have colony defenses that can crush them automatically, but the rep hit means I need to take time off to rebuild rep.  Last release, it did not cost rep (unless you fought personally), and they could be completely ignored.

I do not like that cores are so safe to use that taking colony skills yourself is a very stupid "choice".  The worst they do is possible gotcha through a possible UI fault.

I do not want to play a mod that makes the game easier.  I can cut out the middleman (mod) and just say "I WIN".

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »

I almost think it would be better if core worlds could not be decivilized, or if the penalty was not a permanent kill switch for the colony but an 'out of commission' for a year or two while order is established again.

All of this hinges on the vision of the game. The sector is supposed to decline, but declining isn't fun for us long-play folks, nor for anyone who is good-natured, friendly with factions and wants to see the best possible outcome even for them. The player is given the means to deflect pirate threats - with the implied suggestion that the player should handle these threats, as intel, bounties, relation buffs etc. are tied to this. But the game is currently configured to play unfair and pop up the next pirate station and subsequent raid right away as one is squashed. There are several key points in this dynamic that need addressing.

- Pirate base spawn logic. Should there be a delay? Should min/max amounts be different?
- Impact on pirate logistics to destroy one of their bases. Possibly secondary long-term impact if this becomes a trend.
- Impact on pirate logistics to defeat one of their raids. Possibly secondary long-term impact.
- Impact of successful raid on raided faction and pirate wealth generation. Long-term impact.

I think overall that letting pirates roam free and wreck stuff should result in big trouble for the sector. But for good or for worse, this 'oh-*** scale' currently can't be influenced. It's a threat that keeps on hammering at its own pace no matter how the player acts; no matter how well or how badly he and the factions handle the threat. If he is diligent, he is on the clock 24/7 to deflect pirate raids and squash bases. If he is lazy, pirate raids keep going - and mostly succeeding - until world after world topples.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:27:34 AM by Schwartz »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]