Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Is Starsector too easy? And what's the deal with hiding the Spacer option?  (Read 32100 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is Starsector too easy? And what's the deal with hiding the Spacer option?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »

I liked that I could buy cruiser warship clunkers in open market.  Buying that extra cruiser when I needed it helped me beat one of the spiked-up difficulty fleets when I was in my do-or-die situation in the midgame.

Much stuff is still locked up in faction's military markets and stuff, but now that I can find (or rob) blueprints, accessibility is not too much a problem late in the game.  Finding blueprints that are not one of the common packs are still too annoyingly rare.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »

I find XP progression fine, given the current skill system.  I am probably at the endgame now, at level 49.  (I want level 50 for all of the skill points since all of the extra skill points we got all went to colony stuff.)  That said, I did avoid unnecessary fighting now that I am mostly in full explorer mode while colonies churn out money.

That said, I have an annoying pather base I need to find before I can explore again, and I was forced to plop my sixth colony near where I hope the pathers are hiding.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »

It's definitely too fast right now. I don't want it to be very slow, either; still finding the right balance. I think given the Galatian Stipend, it's probably ok to tone down some early/mid-game rewards, as those were mostly set up before that was a thing. Going to look at it at some point; it's safe to expect some possibly sweeping changes in this from release to release.
That's good to hear, however I think you should consider reworking the economy again.
Just kidding.
But seriously, importing stuff for free shouldn't be a thing, colonies that import stuff from out of faction should have those costs deducted from their income.
Or is it already that way and i just haven't noticed?

It’s already that way. You can check imports on your colony income breakdown iirc

Zaskow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »

My only complain is Galatian Stipend. For me it decreases difficulty a LOT.

Dragon239

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »

The Stipend does seem like it could be an easy-mode benefit, although I do like the fluff of it overall.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »

I think its perfect right now... if you want to struggle just make supplies more expensive and fuel. Problem solved... you really don't have to make it harder for everyone just because you want to have a hard time. Honestly I think its really good pace at the moment and btw, *** goes really fast time wise in-game! I only got a few million credits after 18 years in-game time so I don't think its a 10 minute deal. My character is has already spent more time flying than ive been mentally concious in my own life (the first 3-4 years is just a big blurr) so I think its pretty balanced honestly. Before that the game was impossible and trading was just making it way too harsh. Stop complaining about it being too easy and just change 2 numbers in the settings file, seriously.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »

i feel like the stipend should vanish if you found a colony. Or, like, not only do they stop paying you but also any stipend you have saved up vanishes from your account once you found a colony as well so you can't do what I did (spend it on supplies and basically do nothing until you have enough $ to found a colony and max out industries off the stipend alone)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »

For me there are two things that make the game too easy:

1) Once you find a good trade route to exploit, it's basically a money making machine. You could even spend some time creating a very elaborate macro and do it automatically.

2) Capital ships, mostly Onslaught and Paragon. I'm not a very original player, I usually have a fleet made up of one or two Onslaughts, two Dominators, and 2-3 Enforcers for the military side, plus some fuel, crew and cargo ships of course.

The Onslaught, when properly configured, is indestructible. I'm obviously playing on normal, no mods. I always put points into the max OP skill, and then I max all the combat skills. You don't even need to use the shields on this ship, maybe to catch a torpedo but that's it. I don't even use capacitors, just vents. It's just destruction itself placed into a ship. Park it near anything and it's dead. You can even face tank a tier 3 station.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »

Scanning mission payouts are still too big, maybe they should require some resource or scanner strength to take, or have enemies you have to defeat on site?  I can take my spacer start shuttle, salvage any other ship from Corvus and be on my way to a 80K payout scan mission. This feels like an exploit.

Maybe if you scale the spacer dept up faster it would be better? Also some kind of hard mode with larger expedition fleets and faction rep dropping faster. Having bounties put on your head would be cool, I really liked the Histidine's Nexerelin revenge fleets, just huge death balls that home in on your fleet when you really anger a faction.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:50:08 PM by Bastion.Systems »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 04:25:54 PM »

For me there are two things that make the game too easy:

1) Once you find a good trade route to exploit, it's basically a money making machine. You could even spend some time creating a very elaborate macro and do it automatically.

I remember there being more mechanics to smuggling that made it more interesting that I missed but I'm hard pressed ATM what it was
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »

My only complain is Galatian Stipend. For me it decreases difficulty a LOT.

Yeah, the stipend made things too easy in the beginning.

Dragon239

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »

I remember there being more mechanics to smuggling that made it more interesting that I missed but I'm hard pressed ATM what it was
IIRC, they would Investigate any acts of smuggling, so even if you did not have a transponder on they could track it down to you.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »

The trade route I'm using is from Chtelenn (very likely misspelled) to Quoras. I buy all their drugs and organs on the black market, buy tons of fuel and supplies in the open market, which is apparently enough to "cover" the black market purchases. I then sell everything to Quoras, on the black market. I buy their volatiles and organics and sell them on the open market to Chtelenn. Rinse and repeat infinitely.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »

IIRC, they would Investigate any acts of smuggling, so even if you did not have a transponder on they could track it down to you.

They still do that.
Oh! I remember now what it was, you could dodge suspicion by making dummy sales on the open market

Dragon239

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 05:06:54 AM »

You don't get any suspicion level right now when you trade with your transponder off, and you can mitigate suspicion level via "Open Market" trading still.
Check the tooltip for "Black Market" on the trade screen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5