Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: point defenses  (Read 6219 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
point defenses
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »

how do you get a point defense to correctly lead its target?
I made a beam-pulse one, but its not leading its target correctly (it consistently shoot behind it)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: point defenses
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »

PD is always going to have a bit of a problem with laterally-moving targets, that much is intended. You could try increasing the turn rate of the weapon unless it's already very high, that might help. Could also try increasing the projectile speed.

Turning the ship to help the turret lead more also works. I like that there's something you can do manually to help an auto-fire group be more effective in some situations.

liq3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

I swear I've had this problem too, and against enemy ships, not against missiles... Would be if turrets would lead their targets properly.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »

Ah ok, I  was trying to have it so it would behave with the accuracy of the sustained beam PD

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »

Ok, have more troubles:

a PD pulse beam weapon with these settings:
   "autocharge":true,  # whether the weapon will continue charging and fire if the LMB is tapped instead of held
   "requiresFullCharge":true,  # for pulse weapons - whether the weapon will fire at a lower strength partial charge

1) will not shoot at things that the AI does not ask it to charge up completely for
2) will not fully charge when left-clicked (autocharge does not work)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:08:28 AM »

I think your best bet here is to make your PD weapon spray a cone of shrapnel in the general direction of the missile and hope it hits something.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »

Ok, have more troubles:

a PD pulse beam weapon with these settings:
   "autocharge":true,  # whether the weapon will continue charging and fire if the LMB is tapped instead of held
   "requiresFullCharge":true,  # for pulse weapons - whether the weapon will fire at a lower strength partial charge

1) will not shoot at things that the AI does not ask it to charge up completely for
2) will not fully charge when left-clicked (autocharge does not work)

All "pulse" means is that the weapon fires when you let go of the LMB. In retrospect, that's turned out to be a painful way to control weapons manually (it's fine for small numbers, but not for large numbers or especially mixed groups).

So we're gradually converting existing pulse weapons to use the "projectile" type, with a charge-up. More to your question, the "autocharge" setting only works for projectile weapons. Take a look at the railgun for a working example - it's basically a pulse weapon with a different ("projectile") control scheme, and sounds like it's what you're trying to do.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »

Ok, this all makes sense now...

Thanks.

OK - I figured out the problem: the AI can't handle leading a weapon that it has flexibility over charging (pulse weapons)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:11:12 AM by Avan »