Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More AI fun!!  (Read 891 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
More AI fun!!
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:41:19 AM »

AI is handling my hammerhead weird. It keeps dying in combat first, and only now did I pop open the simulator and see why.
Loadout: Dual chainguns, dual Vulcans up front and dual single-cannons in back with resistant flux conduits for venting in an enemy's face and unstable injectors for a speed bonus, and reactor stats maxed out
Against the Balanced destroyer with mortars and railguns, obviously it'll win in a knife fight bc it has even shield kill but a far better reactor bc it's not fielding railguns (OP), far quicker armor-kill and incredibly quick post-armor hull kill -- but will lose in harassment bc it lacks the range. The AI, however, gets into cannon range and then immediately backs out of it and then sits in railgun/mortar range till it's fluxed out and then gets worn to death without ever firing a shot despite the speed advantage.
And, to be clear, I don't have a cautious officer. I know I could fix it with an aggressive officer but the purpose of the ship is to do the murdering for cautious close support frigates, so giving it anything less cautious than a steady officer would make it work bad in big battles against bigger foes but as-is it's not handling correctly after all the frigates are dead.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More AI fun!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 06:23:54 AM »

Do you have loadout design? At no skills your described design is 92/95 OP, something doesn't add up.
Anyway, did you try piloting it yourself? Without character skills such a ship can barely win against Balanced Hammerhead by intentionally sacrificing armor and significant chunk of hull when player piloted. Under AI control it has no chances whatsoever.

Other than that:
- AI can't melee. Even with Aggressive or Reckless it's dubious. Steady won't even try to.
- AI can't use small speed advantage to compensate range disadvantage. It needs to be massive (SO + UI vs neither).

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:28:09 AM by TaLaR »

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More AI fun!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »

AI on any ship without escape ability or good shields = dead in a minute. Hammerhead is slow as brick and cant disengage once comitted to battle. AI will charge forward get surrounded and die unless you as player not position your ship before him eating all shots in the line of fire while AI maybe - maybe retreats as ordered.