Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tarsus isn't available by default - but Condor is?  (Read 2184 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Tarsus isn't available by default - but Condor is?
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:05:38 AM »

Apparently it's easy to get a blueprint for producing Condor light carriers, so much so they're available by default.

However, despite Condors being converted Tarsus freighters... Tarsus freighters are NOT available by default.

Either Condors should be a blueprint you have to acquire or, more likely, Tarsus should be in the free list of blueprints.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tarsus isn't available by default - but Condor is?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »

Tarsus can be substituted by few smaller cargo vessels but condor is the only starter low-tech carrier and essential at the start.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:56:38 AM »

As far actual combat ability goes max carries, max fleet size is the best you can do early without blueprints. Condors and Shepherds are the only serviceable ships accessible by default, and being carriers they are much less affected by most D-mods.

Whether autoresolve accurately reflects this is another question, but my fleet built with such doctrine defeated a pair of invasions with starbase level 2. Later I improved ship quality and blueprints, but kept doctrine otherwise same.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:17:48 AM by TaLaR »

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 03:39:44 AM »

Game balance is great and all (and yeah, it should come first... when it has to!) but in-fiction if I can build condors I HAVE ALREADY built Tarsuses (Tarsii?) and converted them.

The alternative is to put condors into the lowtech blueprint package.  why should people be guaranteed an early carrier? What about converted colossus mk 3?  I think that's available too?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 03:44:27 AM »

well yeah, the blueprint for the condor is more common because it's more useful.

your faction isn't constructing tarsi and then converting them to condors, they're feeding stock into a manufacture with a condor blueprint plugged into it and getting the ship wholesale from scratch.
And the reason the blueprint for the condor is so much more common than that of condors is bc any small startup colony won't have a use for a civilian freighter. You need combat freighters to begin with -- which is Cerberuses and hounds.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »

your faction isn't constructing tarsi and then converting them to condors, they're feeding stock into a manufacture with a condor blueprint plugged into it and getting the ship wholesale from scratch.

From descriptions.csv
All Condor-class light carriers started their service lives as Tarsus-class freighters.
Tarsus lives matter.