Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapon Affix Generator  (Read 3246 times)

_HorIzoN_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Weapon Affix Generator
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:10:12 PM »

I saw there are some argument about random generated loot but no mod actually support that..I took a look at the mod structure, seems that there is no way to generate those randomness using current API provided.
So I write an affix generator to do the job, which modify the .csv and .wpn file to generate different weapon with different affix.
description file is not touched.. As you can see in the picture below.

Here are some results:

Consider as modifier:
"Rare": Overall enhance[+10%] (With rarity of 0.3)
"Epic": Overall enhance[+30%] (With rarity of 0.05)
"Lagendary": Overall enhance[+50%] (With rarity of 0.01)

Consider as manufacture(haven't go for the lore yet):
"Simplify": Weapon circuit is optimized, OP[-10%] (With rarity of 0.1)
"Spitfire": Rapid fire is the key to victory, Damage[-35%], Range[-20%], BurstSize[+100%], BurstDelay[-25%] (With rarity of 0.4)
"Deadshot": Can only fire one projectile at once, have long charge time and insane damage, Range[+100%], Projectile Speed[+200%] (With rarity of 0.2)
"Rechargeable": Missile ammo could recharge over time. (With rarity of 0.1)

Every affix will increase the rarity of that weapon, and some of them also increase the tier. So there are some very rare weapon that require grind.

In theory it could generate affix for any weapon, but the armory expanded very quick(7 affix cross generation(with some rules) produce 620 new weapons), so I think this might not be a good solution, but use them is quite fun in the game ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:02:17 PM by _HorIzoN_ »

Ryu116

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Affix Generator
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »

This is great idea!  I have a suggestion, is it any possibility to change the text color to match the tier/rarity of any item, similar to what they have in borderland pc series?

For example, for the common/low tier, the text would be regular blue.  For next tier / rarity, the text would be green.  The top rarity/tier would be bright purple color?  That way we will be able to easily tell the different between each item, along with the Affix?

_HorIzoN_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:27:16 PM »

This is great idea!  I have a suggestion, is it any possibility to change the text color to match the tier/rarity of any item, similar to what they have in borderland pc series?

For example, for the common/low tier, the text would be regular blue.  For next tier / rarity, the text would be green.  The top rarity/tier would be bright purple color?  That way we will be able to easily tell the different between each item, along with the Affix?

I haven't touch that part yet, but yes if we want to add affix and rarity, we need corresponding text color to represent it ;D

_HorIzoN_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 04:19:11 AM »

I haven't find a way to adjust color, but find out that I could use the "Design type" to do something similar.. Here are some results:

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »

Would be nice to know what the various modifiers actually do.
I mean, what is the difference between a normal weapon and a spitfire one? Or a deadshot? Or a simplify? Etc etc
On the left half of the Bell curve

_HorIzoN_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 04:59:05 PM »

Would be nice to know what the various modifiers actually do.
I mean, what is the difference between a normal weapon and a spitfire one? Or a deadshot? Or a simplify? Etc etc

Agreed. I put them in the description but on tooltip only the first sentence is shown..
So for the effect of those modifiers:

Consider as modifier:
"Rare": Overall enhance[+10%] (With rarity of 0.3)
"Epic": Overall enhance[+30%] (With rarity of 0.05)
"Lagendary": Overall enhance[+50%] (With rarity of 0.01)

Consider as manufacture(haven't go for the lore yet):
"Simplify": Weapon circuit is optimized, OP[-10%] (With rarity of 0.1)
"Spitfire": Rapid fire is the key to victory, Damage[-35%], Range[-20%], BurstSize[+100%], BurstDelay[-25%] (With rarity of 0.4)
"Deadshot": Can only fire one projectile at once, have long charge time and insane damage, Range[+100%], Projectile Speed[+200%] (With rarity of 0.2)
"Rechargeable": Missile ammo could recharge over time. (With rarity of 0.1)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »

I like the concept a lot, but I don't believe I like the idea of Deadshot.

Removing burst from weapons that already have it (instead of adding extra burst) often makes them into alternative versions of other weapons, and also completely trashes armour balance.

If I see a heavy needler turret, I expect that it'll do pretty poorly against heavy armour because, being a needler, it's going to fire tons of small projectiles.  Except a deadshot heavy needler isn't, in fact, a heavy needler - it's much closer to a HVD or medium-scale railgun, which CAN actually hurt armour.

May I suggest that they keep the long charge time and projectile speed, and instead increase the burst accuracy (reduce recoil?) significantly?  This will make shotgun style weapons that don't have a fixed spread and rely on inaccuracy and recoil rather overly powerful... but, on the other hand, you might just miss.  I -hope- this preserves the flavour of deadshot without also destroying the armour balance and weapon niches as I worry the current implementation will.

_HorIzoN_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 04:38:31 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion! My init idea is to turn those weapon into a "Sniper/Support" rule, didn't consider much about the similarity and armor balance..(yes, my fault :P)

I'm still in a testing phase for the balance of those weapon, and all kind of changes can be made on them.

I think your opinion makes sense and I'll try to change the way "Deadshot" works after a complete run of the campaign.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »

actually there's this thing in Vanilla where there are weapons people (I) like and would use the hecc out of except that there's a more OP hungry and less efficient alternative that reaches 1000 range, which is required for making frigates competitive against destroyers to relieve the need for your own fleet to be destroyer heavy (you can't put AC's on a hound because not having HVD filling the same slot kills its ability to fight destroyers)
If Deadshot made a weapon 1000 range with a proportional decrease in reload speed and either a proportional or 20% increase in projectile speed whichever is higher, it'd not only have a niche for making small / assault guns punch up but also would be useable on already 1000 range guns by making them harder to dodge with no other changes
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

_HorIzoN_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »

Yep, I'm thinking about adding a new manufacture for these kind of need, while keeping Deadshot for those single-shot weapon(like Rail Gun).

New modifier might be something like: Range[+50%], ProjSpeed[+30%], CoolDown[+60%], with damage and other stuff left for further balancing work.