Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: turning small turrets into medium hardpoints, at a cost of OP  (Read 4846 times)

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

im thinking it might be a good idea to let players change turrets to a next size's hardpoint, at a cost of OP, per mount converted. i think thing should only work with small to medium mounts, since turning medium to large seems overpowered(imagine a tempest with 2 tachyon lance).

when it is converted, you can select at what angle it is set at, but that angle can only be within the range it would have been able to reach when it was a turret.

a new GUI element in the refit screen will need to be added for this too, since all hull mods right now is a change for the entire ship.

im not sure how much OP should it cost to convert each, but i imagine it to be around 5.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: turning small turrets into medium hardpoints, at a cost of OP
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:48 AM »

I'm not totally sure on this but my guess is it'll be difficult for the sprites to do that.
And 5 OP for swapping a small for a medium, especially in the world of heavy blasters and so forth would be pretty OP, but I can only see that being useful on big ships with enough OP to spare for it AND then having enough to mount a weapon like that
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »

Lasher with two Typhoon Reapers... oh my. 0.o

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »

Nice idea actually. Introduce a SWITCH_ABLE mount type (currently we have turret, hardpoint, hidded and hangar) that can be switched from its current turret size to a 1 size larger hardpoint at a cost of 10 OPs for small and 20 OPs for medium. The hardpoint should retain the original weapon type.

The switch for the mount type should be in the weapon list menu as the last (or first) option. The representation of a switch-able mounts on a refit screen could be a circle or a hex. The hardpoint will always face the original direction of the turret mount and will have a +-2 deg arc.

Thus a lasher with its 3 small turrets could get the one pointing forward switched to a medium hardpoint for 10 OPs and get a chaingun for another 10 points leaving 30 for other equipment. BTW Lasher already has two small missile hardpoints that wont be switch-able :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »

Would be nice with this if you could downgrade the turrets aswell.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:24 AM »

Nice idea actually. Introduce a SWITCH_ABLE mount type (currently we have turret, hardpoint, hidded and hangar) that can be switched from its current turret size to a 1 size larger hardpoint at a cost of 10 OPs for small and 20 OPs for medium. The hardpoint should retain the original weapon type.

The switch for the mount type should be in the weapon list menu as the last (or first) option. The representation of a switch-able mounts on a refit screen could be a circle or a hex. The hardpoint will always face the original direction of the turret mount and will have a +-2 deg arc.

Thus a lasher with its 3 small turrets could get the one pointing forward switched to a medium hardpoint for 10 OPs and get a chaingun for another 10 points leaving 30 for other equipment. BTW Lasher already has two small missile hardpoints that wont be switch-able :)

the reason i said 5OP for converting is because larger size weaponry already cost more OP to use AND you are sacrificing the ability to turn. furthermore, larger weapons also uses more flux(save missiles), which will also pose a greater risk of using, since the cost of converting the mount would have been otherwise used on capacitors/vents. converting directly increases flux usage and indirectly decreases capacitors/vents.

the reason why i said you can choose which direction of the converted hardpoint to any angle of the original turret, is because some turret initial directing is awkward to say the least. take the lasher for example, the 2 front turrets faces at around 30degree outwards for each side. it would be rather hard to use and limit the use of converting. but if one was to be able to choose the angle of the converted hardpoint(again, it's within the angle permitted by the original turret), one can choose to have them both facing exactly the direction of the ship is facing, which is generally a viable placement. again, this directly increases the flux/sec and decreases how much capacitors and vents can could have applied.

say if i DID do that to a lasher, and put two heavy mauler in the converted hardpoint. a normal heavy mauler uses 12OP but also with the cost of the conversion, it would be 17OP each. with both of them, one would be already using 34 out of 50 OP. which probably leaves only PD weapons for the rest of the mounts, and no OP for hull mods or siginificant amount of capacitors/vents.

Would be nice with this if you could downgrade the turrets aswell.

i forgot about this. thx for reminding me.

---EDIT:---
COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT BUT MIGHT AS WELL ADD IT IN:
i think the same idea of spending OP to change a mount around can apply to for example, changing from ballistic to energy mount. but this might break immersion, to some extent. it doesnt make a lot of sense, using a TT-ship with majority being ballistic mounts.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:57:36 AM by leonvision »

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »

I think being able to convert hardpoints would be a bad idea. Stick to turrets.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »

I think being able to convert hardpoints would be a bad idea. Stick to turrets.  :)

do u mean converting hardpoints to turret is a bad idea, or this whole thing is generally a bad idea?...

cuz i was iffy on the idea of converting hardpoint to turrets as well.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

Oh, well you made it sound like you wanted to make the small hardpoints into medium hardpoints on a lasher, which I think would be a little much. But gutting a turret to make an oversize hardpoint makes sense to me.

Downgrading a medium hardpoint to a small turret would be okay methinks.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »

Oh, well you made it sound like you wanted to make the small hardpoints into medium hardpoints on a lasher, which I think would be a little much. But gutting a turret to make an oversize hardpoint makes sense to me.

Downgrading a medium hardpoint to a small turret would be okay methinks.

no, i was talking about the two turrets that pointing forward, not the hardpoints.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »

My mistake.
- Voltaire