Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saves in folder,but won't load?  (Read 4014 times)

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Saves in folder,but won't load?
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »

I was playing Starsector last night and then I get home and reboot my pc with internet,the only thing different and now Starsector doesn't recognize any saves I have in folder. There are 2 there right now,any ideas why I can;t load them. I haven't changed the version of Starsector or added any mods.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Saves in folder,but won't load?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »

Hard to say without more info, hmm. So it's just not even showing the saves in the "load game" dialog's list? If that's the case, that probably means something wrong with the descriptor.xml files, but, again, hard to say for sure without seeing them.

Could you send me a save so I can check it out?

Also, if your save list is long, and the game thinks the saves don't match the current set of enabled mods (which, you did say you didn't change), then the saves will be at the bottom of the list. Just throwing this out as something to double-check.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »

Last night save

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »

Hmm, nothing looks wrong as far as that one. Are you sure your enabled mod list didn't change? Could happen if, say, something happened to your registry. If you send me the full save dir I can take a look; fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com.

Don't know if you tried looking at the end of the save list (or if that applies), but if you didn't/it does, then it's worth a look.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »

Sent email

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »

Thanks!

... so, somehow, the descriptor.xml for both your saves got zeroed out. That it happened for both of them at the same time seems concerning as far as your system goes. Hmm.

On the bright side, the .bak descriptor seems ok, so if you remove the descriptor.xml and rename the .bak one to take its place, your saves should load up and you shouldn't lose any progress.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »

Tried,still doesn't see the save, I started a new save and that one works but I removed the decriptor.xml.bak and renamed the other one exactly as the one I removed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »

I removed the decriptor.xml.bak and renamed the other one exactly as the one I removed.

Hmm - that sounds like the opposite of what you'd want to do, you want to remove descriptor.xml (which is what's used, and is corrupted) and replace it with the .bak (which is the uncorrupted backup).

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »

None of them work,oh well at this point I'll just use my old save. I've never experienced this before so,toss it in with a fluke I guess. Thanks anyway Alex,appreciate it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »

(Sent you the fixed saves, in case you want 'em.)

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »

Awesome,that worked,thanks again.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »

Ok,it happened again. I came home and booted up my pc and when I started Starsector the last save I had offline would not show up in the list of saves. The other 2 are there still but not the new one. The only change this time is I had a Windows 7 update. I also remember Save and Quit was the option from the game I choose. I'm not sure what's going on but now my last save won't work.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »

Hmm. I wonder if something is up with your hard drive, for that to keep happening like that seems worrisome.

You should be able to recover the save from the .bak files in the save folder, per the previous instructions. This really is odd, though.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »

Well,no matter what file I rename decsriptor.xml it doesn't see the save file. Whatever you did the last time seemed to work when I emailed it to you. I could try and defragg my system or reinstall starsector. I never did uninstall before reinstalling the new rc9 version. I'm not sure if that is still a thing.

Sent email with latest save.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:20:06 PM by Kyuss11 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »

Replied!

(Yeah, it looks like windows is not showing you the file extensions, so you ended up with a descriptor.xml.xml file...)
Pages: [1] 2