Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Chance of faction's expedition and pirate raid  (Read 1827 times)

hkmist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Chance of faction's expedition and pirate raid
« on: November 18, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »

Is the chance of faction's expedition and pirate raid affect by player's relation and colony's distance to core?

Just surprise by having 2 friendly faction's expedition and a priate raid at my colony at the edge of the map,

And is there any setting around this can be edit? I only find the setting on how long a attack's damage last but can't find any on how to prevent it.

Baro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Chance of faction's expedition and pirate raid
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:42:01 PM »

Yeah the current system of other factions just sending wave after wave of attacks isn't exactly fun.  You can spend your favour to avoid attacks, but you'll run out fast.  You can also pay to avoid attacks. 

But even so,  I've found a fully upgraded star fortress can handle any of the attacks the AI has thrown at me so far.  You can check out the event and see how their forces stack up, so far my starbases has always been "overwhelming" so I no longer worry about racing home to defend things.  Also, if you attack an enemy expedition force you'll lose standing with them,  but if your starbases and AI fleets defeat them there's no loss.  It's an odd system.

I'd much rather have raids less frequently but more meaningfully,  with full attacks being the result of relations falling apart.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:56:58 PM »

Also, if you attack an enemy expedition force you'll lose standing with them,  but if your starbases and AI fleets defeat them there's no loss.  It's an odd system.

I haven't had this happen yet. In fact, for these expedition fleets it explicitly states when you make contact that combat will not result in loss of standing. Maybe there was an unrelated fleet of the same faction travelling along or providing fire support.

I had a pretty tough time early on. It was expedition after expedition in maybe 2-month intervals. Not a lot of time to get stuff done in between. It has since calmed down a bit. Maybe we both just had bad luck. Maybe there are other factors in play. Would love to know what prompts these events, and if standing, previous success or failure and demand for colony products have anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:59:01 PM by Schwartz »

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:07:45 AM »

I haven't had this happen yet. In fact, for these expedition fleets it explicitly states when you make contact that combat will not result in loss of standing. Maybe there was an unrelated fleet of the same faction travelling along or providing fire support.
Incorrect. Attacking them does not immediately initiate hostility i.e. it is not a declaration of war, but it does reduce standing. That is what it states in the message.

I have to agree with the feedback on this thread. These incessant expeditions are an annoying unavoidable drain on faction relation. It is not fun.

A quick fix would be for these to only happen if you have negative relations with a faction.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:14:53 AM by mitthrawnuruodo »

Elijah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 03:55:32 AM »

At the moment, colonies only create a friction between our own faction and other factions. It would be good if there were some ways to use colonies to also improve our standing with other factions.

For instance, if there were some shortages you could sell your products to improve relations, or create trade agreements with other factions. I'm saying this because I've noticed that after a founding colonies my relationship with the other factions just kept dropping...

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »

Agree with Elijah above. I posted a similar suggestion in another thread.