Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uses for Mercenaries  (Read 2263 times)

Bendigeidfran

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Uses for Mercenaries
« on: November 22, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »

It would be neat to be able to hire Mercenary fleets for a variety of uses for example to follow you around and help in combat, to defend your systems or to strike at other systems/bases. This would free up a lot of time for a particular kind of player that likes to develop colonies or explore more than endless combat defending systems. Personally I'd like to be able to keep them on the payroll too, you'd have a tab for hired mercenaries and they'd take a fee each month either in cash or cash and fuel/supplies from your colonies.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »

Perhaps the ability to hire survey fleets too? Have a scaling cost based on how much fuel and heavy machinery you give them, and where you want them to survey. They'd loot smaller caches too in exchange for a partial refund of services, but larger hauls might be left for you.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Psyonicg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »

It would be cool if you could have Mercs be able to supply from your own shipyards and colonies, giving them better equipment and gear as well (assuming you have it available to produce).

Delta7

• Commander
  • forum idiot
    • View Profile
    • my personal DA account
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »

Perhaps the player could fund a mercenary company who would work under a timed contract for the player faction? When not under contract, they could be hired to work for any faction. It would also give an alternative to having to show up and personally fight off expeditionary fleets, and dodge the reputation loss associated with doing so.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:28:00 PM by Delta7 »
warning: may be prone to random outbursts of stupidity

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »

Perhaps the player could fund a mercenary company who would work under a timed contract for the player faction? When not under contract, they could be hired to work for any faction. It would also give an alternative to having to show up and personally fight off expeditionary fleets, and dodge the reputation loss associated with doing so.
Perhaps it also discourages said expeditions from happening as often too.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 01:28:28 AM »

I would very much like to be able to post a system bounty to get people to help clear my system of pirates or luddites when I'm not around.

Maybe the Hegemony, too :)