Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Can you stay small, or you have to be a 42+ ships fleet at the end ?  (Read 1538 times)

Tchey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Jeux1d100

Hi,

I play since 2011 but i never went really far. So for you all experts, a question :

I was wondering, do you have to grow to do something "interesting" in the game, or can you stay small ?

How small ?

I guess you CAN play lonewolf, one single ship, but what you actually do with it ? Between "A few delivery errands" and "Discover the secret of 42" ?

And then, what skills would you pick for your journey ?

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can you stay small, or you have to be a 42+ ships fleet at the end ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »

You could defeat most fleets by chain-deployed Afflictors/Hyperions/Lashers instead of proper fleet.
- Afflictors as your main force.
- Hyperion(s) to kill enemies that can actually threaten Afflictor during it's 2 second vulnerability window (like swarm of 6 Tempest with ion Terminator drones from 0.81).
- SO LMG Lasher(s) as cheap fast mop up for easier enemies.

Plus a few Drams + Cargo frigates of your choice.

Still looking at about 10+ ships. And of course you need to be really good at piloting.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can you stay small, or you have to be a 42+ ships fleet at the end ?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »

You probably cannot do all content with a single ship. But you can probably do most combats with a single combat ship. The main limits are Fuel Range/Cargo Space preventing you from having a single ship. After that its CR. The paragon as an example can solo most content when set with combat skills and having good weapons though you may have to get lucky for some combats. I almost killed one of the "end game" ships with a solo paragaon as an example, but i actually 10 harassment frigates (that didn't do much except get killed) and got lucky on its fitting (no hard flux weapons meant i could tank him)

Other than that legitimately small fleets are definitely a possibility. The Aurora in particular is quite good at murderating things (as is the Apogee surprisingly) so long as you have combat skills and have an idea of how you want to fit them out and you can do a LOT of content with them and small backing fleets. If you want to keep yourself to the basic 3 or 4 Officers its entirely possible to do. Though it will be a lot harder if they're in frigates.

The good news is that colonies enable this type of play a lot more, because losing ships is no longer as damaging when you can order new ones to spec a lot easier.