Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Master of Orion (Starfarer version)  (Read 37503 times)

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Master of Orion (Starfarer version)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »

This is awesome can this please happen please?

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »

this thread has made me want to break out my Moo2 CD and play again LOL.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Alexander86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 01:51:09 AM »

All i can say is . I still play MOO2 at least once a year and I try to use the soundtrack for space games with *** ones ha. Stellar converter FTW

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 04:24:57 AM »

I started with MOO2, loved it so much. They really nailed the feel of that game, and it looked spectacular for the time (and not bad at all today). I recently bought it again at GOG (along with MOO).

After playing MOO, I can agree that it's an excellent game. In some ways better than MOO2!

I also ... uh ... experienced some sort of interactive spreadsheet that billed itself as the next game in the series. My children will know of this time as a darkness never to be given voice.

SOTS 1 was pretty good. I had a lot of fun with it. SOTS 2 is quite depressing.

I played GalCiv 2 (complete pack) for a long time, but it never sucked me in the way that MOO/MOO2 did. It seemed technically great, but lacked ... soul? Not saying it was bad, just that it wasn't great for me.

I need to try Armada 2526. That's been on my "should look at" list for a long time.

Distant Worlds is a very interesting game that I've not spent enough time in yet. It has a cool automation system that you can toggle on and off for all sorts of gameplay decisions -- like diplomacy, construction, colonization, combat etc. In other words, you can pretend to be a Space Admiral and leave your empire's decision in the hands of the AI. Or do the reverse. It's a neat idea.

Definitely watching this thread!

Kilvanya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »

Most in depth first idea yet I think

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »

True, but still, the combat is possible. Theres also the "Outposts" that arent implemented in starfarer. Probably there will be "capture" of planets and/or stations making it an even more viable possibility.

Dont forget, in this game ur a captain whos neutral to all races, doesn't matter what race u are, simply because u got the freedom to create ur own fleet and possibly in the future, end other empires.

Theres something i forgot to mention and no mod has added (i think...) that is space monsters that spawn randomly and have unique weapons and a chance to drop a extremely rare weapon(s).

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »

I've actually contacted that same artist about using some of his art in Starfarer before; I could never get ahold of him.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 06:15:44 AM »

Well, the basic squematics he left will have to do i guess, ive been checking out the ships based on Battleships forever, you can see perfect examples on the Battlefarer made by Silver
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:41:32 PM by silentstormpt »

Alexander86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

some art links

http://www.freegameempire.com/Img/Cache/Games/Master-of-Orion/Manual-Attachment-6.gif
http://www.3ln.org/master-of-orion-2-ship-images-by-color

Love the master of orion 2 ship designs. Gonna go bust out dosbox now ha. I was always green or purple, what was every one elses favorite?

Kahabut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »

some art links

http://www.freegameempire.com/Img/Cache/Games/Master-of-Orion/Manual-Attachment-6.gif
http://www.3ln.org/master-of-orion-2-ship-images-by-color

Love the master of orion 2 ship designs. Gonna go bust out dosbox now ha. I was always green or purple, what was every one elses favorite?

Purple, always purple.  Get a deathstar, put the phasing shields, Hyper X caps, and the time device.  100% unkillable. 

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »

This mod http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=376.0 has some ships design that are really close to what Darlok would use.
Same with this mod: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1219.0 in case of the Silicoid.

I guess Meklars would look alike the Bentusi ships on Homeworld 1 and 2
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:38:37 PM by silentstormpt »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »

Ship Sizes on MoO1:

Huge, Big, Medium, Small and Tiny

Ship Sizes on MoO2:

Doom Star, Titan, Battleship, Cruiser, Destroyer, Corvette

While on Starfarer you have 5 if you include Fighters, this means the Doom Star Class will need to be in the "Battlecruiser" section and Frigates will just have to merge with Destroyers...

Doom Star Description:
The first Doom Star was actually a huge Factory Station on a Meklars world who was about to be attacked by the Antarans, due to the several strike forces send by the Meklars to delay the incoming Antarans fleet, they managed to convert the station into the biggest ship ever made by any race until then, the at that time Station had enough parts to build 4 Titan class ships, were instead used on the station itself, the result was a huge battleship that had enough firepower to destroy almost any battle fleets from any race except the Antarans. Luckily for the Meklars, Antarans didn't know the planet defenses changes in such a short frame time and their strike force was assumed to be more then enough to overcome and destroy the colony. Once they arrived to the planets range, they were almost instantly destroyed by the Doom Star. After the battle, every race started to build a limited number of Doom Star class ships to serve as their main flagships, their number is assumed to represent the strength of each race military fleet.

Titan Description:
While bigger doesn't necessary means better, when the need for more firepower to overcome capital ships comes a bigger ship class comes in, the Titan Class purpose is of a flagship, huge carrier or a heavy battleship, they represent the might of a races fleet until Death Stars started to represent that role, still they are extremely powerful capital ships.

Feel free to post any changes on those descriptions...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:37:55 PM by silentstormpt »

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »

Arrrghh... DOOMstar, not that damned SW-orish death star!  >:(

And fighters were launchable. The smallest ship size was frigate. Except for titan and DS all other ship sizes are similar to Starfarer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:51:54 AM by Okim »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »

I couldnt remember the name of the smallest class on MoO2 and i ofter called the Doom Stars, Death Stars cause i stacked Plasma Cannon on Continuous mode, making it look it was firing the same way as the one on SW so i guess i typo those 2...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:04:12 AM by silentstormpt »
Pages: 1 [2] 3