Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Master of Orion (Starfarer version)  (Read 37476 times)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Master of Orion (Starfarer version)
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »

Hopefully im not the only fan around of the particular game or better yet "games" (MoO and MoO2)

While starfarer is a exploration game, nothing stops us from adding the common races of MoO and their particular ship designs (with their benefits and weakness depending on race).

Psilon

Specialty: Subspace Teleporter;
Faction Color: White;
Defense: 360º Shields, High Flux amount and generation, Standard Propulsion;
Weapons: Only Blaster Type and High advance Missiles/Torpedos;
Ship Sizes: ALL (can have all types), Normal fleets sizes.

Ships are more or less based on the UFOs, round and very futuristic design, their weaponry is based on the most advanced Blaster and a few energy type torpedoes (only race that are more advance weapons would be the Antarans), they possess the most expensive ships in game, and are the smallest military Fleet in any race. Because they possess so much dependence on high tech, they have the lowest armor and EMP/Kinetic weapons are VERY effective against them.

Meklars

Specialty: High Energy Focus;
Faction Color: Cyan or Light Blue;
Defense: Wide Shields (almost 360º), High Flux amount and generation, Standard Propulsion;
Weapons: Only Beam Types;
Ship Sizes: Big (Mostly big capital ships), Normal fleets sizes.

Their ships are mostly Cubic with a few Triangular corners and are HUGE or really small, no medium sized ships, they only use Beam weapons for their weaponry, with a 360º coverage. because of their ship format they can hold of attacks from any angle and like the Psilons they have a great weakness against EMP/Kinetic weapons. its normal seeing a Titan company by frigates and ALOT of fighters. Their ships are cheap for their size but possess less OP making them very effective in terms of flux balance.

Klackon

Specialty: Launch Fighters;
Faction Color: Red;
Defense: Frontal Shields (around 90º), Standard Flux amount and generation, Poor Propulsion;
Weapons: Fast Ballistic (like Gatling) very few and Missiles/Torpedos;
Ship Sizes: Small (Mostly Small capital ships (With one or two medium/big Carriers depending on the fleet size), ALOT Fighters), Big fleet sizes.

Their ships are a mix of Shadow ships from BC5 and zerg ships from SC2 (if you can imagine them in a more "robotic" form) They do not grow ships but build them very fast meaning, very low cost and also very inefficient in terms of weapons and flux. Their tactics would be a more of "ZERG" in with massive numbers of smaller craft, destroy armor and shields then have the bigger (frigates/destroyers) bring the pain with Hull damage weapons. Because they employ this tactic, a fight in equal or partially equal numbers would be a total annihilation off the Klackon fleet. They also possess the cheapest ships of all races.

Humans

Specialty: Shield Capacitor;
Faction Color: Blue;
Defense: 180º Shields, Standard Flux amount and generation, Standard Propulsion;
Weapons: Every Type;
Ship Sizes: Normal, normal fleet sizes.

The pinnacle of normal and balance, no special features on their ships besides having a very advance shield system.

Darlok

Specialty: Phase ships;
Faction Color: Purple;
Defense: No Shields, Standard Flux amount and generation, Fast Propulsion;
Weapons: Every Type, no Missiles/Torpedos;
Ship Sizes: Small (Mostly Small capital ships and Fighters), small fleet sizes.

Their main specialty would be that every ship they got, has Phase stealth and good engines, this means their strike craft is very effective in bringing enemies down against small fleet fights.

Alkari

Specialty: Augmented Engines;
Faction Color: Yellow;
Defense: 180º Shields, Low Flux amount and generation, Very Fast Propulsion;
Weapons: Ballistic Type (Machine gun types) and ALOT Missiles/Torpedos;
Ship Sizes: Small (Mostly Small capital ships and Fighters), normal fleet sizes.

Their ships look like birds in some way, Turian ships would be very close on how they should look. Fastest ships and highest maneuverability makes the Alkari ships, effective in Dog fights, they possess a very balanced ballistic and missile like loadouts to handle as many battle situations as possible.

Bulrathi

Specialty: Burn Engines;
Faction Color: Brown;
Defense: Front Shields (Strong Armor), Low Flux amount and generation, Normal Propulsion (but low maneuverability);
Weapons: Ballistic Type (Very Heavy cannon types) and Missiles/Torpedos (mostly non guided and heavy hitting ones);
Ship Sizes: Big (Mostly Big capital ships), big fleet sizes.

They resemble bears and the "Heavy" personality on TF2, suicidal. Their ships resemble a Square with a "claw" mouth in the front, their armor is extremely high, only paled when compared with the Silicoid ships. Almost all weapons have a front angle of 90º and every ship is designed to face off any normal race close and personal and win in a few salvos. Because of that they have low maneuverability and cant defend against flank attacks, making their heavy armor, the main defense in such cases...

Mrrshan

Specialty: EMP;
Faction Color: Orange;
Defense: Front Shields (180º), Normal Flux amount and generation, Normal Propulsion;
Weapons: Every Type;
Ship Sizes: Normal, small fleet sizes.

Every ship they possess has a Elite crew, they only have elite crews, because since birth they endure a very spartan like life, every member of the society has intensive military training and its viewed in their society and even on moral standards as normal or even honorable. Their Ships possess a very balanced weaponry, could be compared with humans, while possessing a  more set in a aggressive layout.

Sakkra

Specialty:Flare Systems;
Faction Color: Green;
Defense: Front Shields (90º), Normal Flux amount and generation, Normal Propulsion;
Weapons: Every Type (low quality of every type);
Ship Sizes: Big, Normal fleet sizes (they do have more spawns that most races).

Most of their ships are huge and are designed in long range fighting with strike wings protecting them from close range, they possess the most numbers in terms of population and ships, only due to their fast growth.

Silicoid

Specialty: Fast Reloaders;
Faction Color: Gray;
Defense: No Shields, Strongest armor, Low Flux amount and generation, Normal Propulsion;
Weapons: Only Missiles and Torpedoes;
Ship Sizes: Normal, Normal fleet sizes.

Their ships have no shields but possess the strongest armors known, they specialize on long range missile support and non guided close combat rockets, missile spammer would be the best way to describe their ships. They rarely employ their largest ships.

Antaran

Specialty: Multi-Phased Field, Phase Ships;
Faction Color: Navy Blue;
Defense: 360º Shields, Strong armor, High Flux amount and generation, Normal Propulsion;
Weapons: Every Type minus ballistics;
Ship Sizes: Normal, Normal fleet sizes. (random spawn zones)

Their ships look like space robotic Squids, very advance looking ones, their weapons are sightly more O.P., dont exist in any station besides their capital system world (meaning they can only be obtained if you destroy their fleet) and their ships are even better in terms of flux to Psilon ships. Their armor is almost as good as the Silicoid. They also possess both Shields and Phase stealth.

-------------------
WEAPONS:
Beams/Blasters:
Laser Cannons
Fusion Beam
Ion Pulse Cannon
Neutron Blaster
Graviton Beam
Phasors
Plasma Cannon
Disruptor Cannon
Stellar Converter
Mauler Device

Ballistics:
Rail Gun
Mass Driver
Gauss Cannon

Missiles:
Mercullite Missiles
Stinger Missiles
Pulson Missiles
Hercular Missiles
Zeon Missiles

Rockets:
Anti-missile Rockets
Scatter Pack V Rockets
Scatter Pack VII Rockets
Scatter Pack X Rockets

Torpedoes:
Anti-matter Torpedoes
Hellfire Torpedoes
Proton Torpedoes
Plasma Torpedoes

Bombs:
Nuclear Bomb
Fusion Bomb
Anti-Matter Bomb

Antaran Weapons (Both Beams/Blasters):
Particle Beam
Death Ray
Neutronium Bomb
---------------

Found some nice info: http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Master_of_Orion's_Races

Theres a page i found with alot of "remake info" from a fan that had very interesting ideas on the Strategy type of the game, but also on ship aspect of the game.

As you can see, the ships are different depending on the race were linked to any special faction color and ship style. This part works nicely on starfarer campaign, where "you" a random captain with no "connections" to any of the races could explore/destroy/trade/conquer/ally what ever you please in the game.

Heres more ideas from the same artist/writer that would work on starfarer mod:

The game however is missing in the "relations" part where u cant really control or get benefits for being a "friend" of a faction/race.

You could also add random space monster types, who "appear" around and attack anyone close and have a chance to drop extremely rare weapons/cannons/missiles:

In the end i failed at making ship designs, but ive seen alot ppl who reaaaaaaally good, i can probably code this since its only adding factions, spawns/patrols and stations
but having no "special designed" ships really loses the whole point of this mod. I've seen that making ships in the Battleship Forever with parts made by Kaelis would actually being able to create exactly the "looks" needed.

Heres the link from the author of those images and really cool ideas on a "new" MoO game he wanted to see in a future game:
http://androidarts.com/spaceconquest/gamedesign.htm

Note: i didnt ask him if i could post those images, i hope he'll forgive me tho :S

--POST-POINTED UNTIL WE GET MOD-ABLE STATIONS AND STAR SYSTEMS--
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:25:36 PM by silentstormpt »

Zuriki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Orion (Starfarer version)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »

I'm not a Masters of Orion fan/player (though I've looked at the game many times, it just seems a little bit too old for my tastes). However, those are some pretty nice ship designs. I would love to see someone do something with these.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »

It's Master of Orion people. Master. And it's not too old, it's still as awesome as ever :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

Have you played it? Nice to see i'm not the only, nostalgia loving one ;D

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »

I always wanted to have different species for the crew! it would be amazing if it works. Really like how your starting out large, its the only way to do it!

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »

Man, just finished playing table-top Master Of Orion and when i saw this the first my though was - damn, why the hell nobody is making MOO4 PC game this days? People really love the MOO universe!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »

I guess the debate of Mood don't see any way they can earn enough money, and don't want to try it. Very sad.  :(

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »

It's Master of Orion people. Master. And it's not too old, it's still as awesome as ever :)

And it's (the first one) still probably the best space 4X game ever made. Though personally I place Sword of the Stars 1 with all the expansions very, very close behind.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »

Sots 2 has come out as a continuation of sots, but it sucks really bad. Where's the quality of sots and moo?

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »

And it's (the first one) still probably the best space 4X game ever made. Though personally I place Sword of the Stars 1 with all the expansions very, very close behind.
:/ i played "Stars" more,  it was better ^^

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »

My dream of MOO sucessor is a turn-based strategic game set in similar ways to MOO2 with semi-turn-based tactical combat. Plan your few seconds by giving move orders, setting reactions and selecting targets for shots and then watch in spectacular 3d battlescape how your enemy planned his time and what the result of your decicions is.

Much like in Laser Squad: Nemesis and some funny and simple space adventure game which name i can`t recall.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »

My dream of MOO sucessor is a turn-based strategic game set in similar ways to MOO2 with semi-turn-based tactical combat. Plan your few seconds by giving move orders, setting reactions and selecting targets for shots and then watch in spectacular 3d battlescape how your enemy planned his time and what the result of your decicions is.

Much like in Laser Squad: Nemesis and some funny and simple space adventure game which name i can`t recall.

There's a similar game called frozen synapse, really awesome and much alike moo2 except it's with infantry, not spaceships.

DougieK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »

Just beautiful.....

Kahabut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »

I'll second this.  MOO forever!!

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Master of Orion (Starfarer version)
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »

Master of Orion is the best, just the very best.

Moo and Moo2 has the best technology trees of any game, it's so unfortunate that nothing ever came close to replicating that feel of teching up in a dark corner of the galaxy, to later explode out on a mission of genocide with your black hole generator equipped frigates.
Pages: [1] 2 3