Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Machine gun problems vs Shields  (Read 4879 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Machine gun problems vs Shields
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 06:06:40 AM »

Yeah thats true for frigates and Up........but on a fighters its broken.
others have already said most of what i would say, but i do wanna reply to this statement in particular.

the problem i see with this statement is that it would only make sense if fighters, like ships, had modular weapons. so a Broadsword might be balanced around its number and sizes of weapon mounts, and if that were the case, LMGs might be too powerful when put on a Broadsword, compared to other weapons that could be put in those same mounts.
but that's not the case. fighter weapons are built-in, and consequently are already taken into account when balancing the fighter itself. a Broadsword wing will always have 3 fighters per wing, and each fighter will always have exactly 2 LMGs, and no other weapons. that is what a Broadsword wing is balanced around (in addition to the other stats).

you could still argue that Broadswords themselves are overpowered, and that adjusting their weapons layout would be a good way to fix them. i'd disagree, but that's how it goes with most balance discussions, not everyone will feel the same. ^^

but saying that LMGs are overpowered, due to how good they are on Broadswords, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. when considering the balance of a modular weapon, you need to consider how useful/powerful it is in modular weapon mounts. if Broadswords are what you feel needs changing, then starting a discussion about LMGs is not gonna be a good way to convince others of your view.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:09:18 AM by Sy »
Pages: 1 [2]