Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Combat Endurance", combat readiness, performance bonuses  (Read 11198 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "Combat Endurance", combat readiness, performance bonuses
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »

For small ships to be useful late, peak performance needs to be longer across the board, and the player's fleet cap needs to be bigger because I need several big ships to match the enemy fleets when I also need spare fleet slots for logistics ships and possible vacancies for recovered ships.
I feel now that frigates are in an even worse situation than they were before and even destroyers are hardly justifiable in an end-game fleet. It's just too easy to lose them and they last too short. I hope there's going to be some CR increase and/or automation feature for sending away ships past their PPT.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 01:07:34 PM »

@ SCC:  Even in 0.8, I thought frigates were obsolete due to peak performance and destroyers other than Drover were barely worth it.  In 0.9, it feels like that has been bumped up a weight class for large map size or two if map size is small.  For max battle size, cruisers are the smallest that is acceptable (barring special ships like Harbinger).  If I lower it to 200, the default, cruisers probably do not have the peak performance to last the whole battle of trickling ship duels.  Also, AI kites more in duels than in fleet battles.  On the other hand, if I use capitals, I can deploy only two ships in a 200 size map (or six to eight ships in 500 size map), and it is almost literally a duel or a couple big ships against a small pack of frigates that eventually turn into a capital duel akin to Space War.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:09:42 PM by Megas »

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »

Oh btw did I mention the Communist Clouds that rob your CR is bad and why are they littered everywhere...its like the developers know it will cause problems.
By the time I have a big fleet, I have colonies and rich enough that the time saved far outweighs the CR drain, and I can easily afford the CR hit.  Especially if I am rushing to save my colony from a sudden Pirate Activity alert (penalties eat lots of income in a system with multiple colonies) or Pather cell that is no longer disrupted and needs to be stopped for another year before they wreck an industry.

Storms can be annoying earlier if I am not that rich yet and do not have Solar Shielding available, but my pre-endgame fleet is probably small enough that I do not need to deal with them.

It is an improvement over how storms used to be, and in late 0.8, they killed Sustained Burn and practically immobilized AND quickly drained CR from the whole fleet (and Emergency Burn took too long to activate if you were caught with Sustained Burn on).  If I could not get out fast enough, I simply reloaded and try again.

No it is even worse now because it flings you into more clouds most of the time. Even when I get rich thats does NOT mean it is no longer a problem. Exploring becomes a nightmare so I never feel motivated to go anywhere. Even with being Rich CR STILL kills me. Remove the system and think of something different because even on paper it is not a good system nor does it give the player anything but a reason to stop playing. At no point did I say "I can accept this". If anything CR is just a quick fix that was slapped in there to fix something.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »

When I want to drive into a cloud for more speed, I want to be flung into more clouds to keep speed 30 going.  I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks when I have an endgame fleet.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »

When I want to drive into a cloud for more speed, I want to be flung into more clouds to keep speed 30 going.  I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks when I have an endgame fleet.

Yea the continuous thirty burn is really nice and fun. And to be honest in the end game, the supply cost is fairly low. I care more about how quickly I can get to different places.

I wish Alex would do the same with storms in battles. That would be fun! Flinging an Onslaught straight into poor little frigates would be hilarious.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »

I sort of like the fact that the new storms introduce a decision fork in hyperspace navigation.

Short on fuel or time: Plow through storms for extra speed and fuel saving, accepting the storm strike damage
Short on supplies: Navigate slowly around/between storms
Short on both: should have planned your trip better eh

Rounin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »

And then there are the places that literally, not figuratively or virtually, but quite literally have no path to them so you can only plow through screen after screen of storms.

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »

Running out of supplies less than halfway to a mission target because of unavoidable mega-walls of storm that hurl me even deeper into them isn't very fun, and losing a recovered ship from it is just frustrating. 242 supplies to repair my ships after all is said and done, and I STILL have to make it all the way back to the core worlds, past those unending storms a second time. With no way to reliably avoid the storms, it just turns into a really heavy tax on exploration that wastes my time.

Edit: Sorry, was a little salty about running out of fuel and floating into a remnant system where I promptly got my butt kicked. While it was a pretty interesting turn of events, a proper way to find methods to safely (and non-time-consumingly) navigate through/around the storms instead of feeling forced to go through them would be really nice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:30:50 PM by Torch »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »

There's an overlay in the map that lets you see where the storms are so you can avoid them, you will probably need to spend more fuel to go around, but it's usually worthwhile. If you see that there is no reasonable way to avoid some group of storms, bring a bunch of extra supplies and take the best path you can. I'm also pretty sure there are some hull mods/skills that reduce CR loss due to storms. There are lots of ways to mitigate it.

That being said, I wish the hitbox on storms was smaller, it feels like you just touch the edge and get sent off in a weird direction at a super high speed. I would like to see either a reduction in the size of the area that can cause that, or progressive levels of the effect where maybe if you touch the edge of the storm you get a small course deviation, but flying through the center gives a big course deviation/speed change.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 12:17:03 AM »

Storms is nasty because they hit fleets outside their area graphics representation. Also hyperspace map is not accurate so without memorizing some pathways you cant navigate effectively. Better map would be to integrate player findings as fleet travel around - like in old game hammer of the gods - you have old map with supposed locations, terrain etc and you have real terrain opened upon exploration.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »

I noticed that if I want to plow straight through a wall of storms reliably, I need to activate Emergency Burn before storms hit my fleet, and I can still mostly control where my fleet goes.  If I try that with Sustained Burn on instead, I lose control and storms could very well deflect my fleet well off to the side and off the beaten path.

Tip:  Once storms hit your fleet, Emergency Burn ability is deactivated and you cannot turn them on to regain control until you slow down.  However, storms will not shut off Emergency Burn already in progress and you can drive where you want while it lasts at 30 speed.  Very nice.

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 02:30:27 PM »

Will just add my own 2 cents here,

I love the storm system, its annoying, but in a good way. Makes a long trip more than just A+SHIFT.

On CR,
Im not sure what "end game" really is, this is an endless sandbox that you cant win... you can just bloat and bloat and bloat, i think by the time you have a full fleet of capital ships... you won the game.
Without Nexerlion to literally conquer everyone... at a certain point you just need to take a deep breath and...
Spoiler

AND
[close]
So complaining about CR not scaling up to these levels seem somewhat absurd to me.
Judging by the vanilla XP scale, game is just not design/balanced for that type of endgame, it just basically lets you decide when you hit your "Ive won already" state of mind.

That in mind, i love the CR system.
It forces prolonged conflicts to end, i personally only have problems with this MY mid game, because what i consider my end-game is a highly specialized smallish fleet that can make short work of most opponents in a relative short time. Neither me nor enemy fleets run out of CR.

Game-design-wise, you just HAVE to have some kind of "fail-safe" system to break stale-mates. Especially in a game where you encourage modding.
Pages: 1 [2]