Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Retreat or not to retreat?  (Read 1487 times)

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
Retreat or not to retreat?
« on: November 01, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »

So, I've just gotten back into SS and I am wildly enjoying it again, aside from one "simple" thing.. the AI.

I just had an encounter where we were evenly matched, but due to my steady officers apparently watching too many rambo movies decides he can hipfire his weapons with 100% accuracy, I was forced to retreat. Fine as that can happened to the enemy as well.

The enemy fleet persues me and I get into another combat engagement.

As most of my ships are 20% or below hull while my ship is roughly 50% I order a full retreat thinking these ships are so damaged they will high-tail it to the top of the screen.

No, instead THEY ALL TURN AROUND in what I can only assume was an attempt to impress me with a heroic death.

My ships were faster, I had hit the full retreat button, so I couldn't give any other orders and yet my ships decided screw retreat, i want to die.

So instead of going full speed to the top of screen they just sort of lazily coasted just in weapons range (theirs and the enemies) until they were eventually whittled down and killed.

If I order a retreat, I expect my ships to drop everything aside from defense and GTFO, not "meh, when i get to it.."
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Retreat or not to retreat?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »

That's definitely a bug. I seem to remember it coming up a little while back on the forum, not sure who mentioned it. It's not something I've been able to reproduce in the current build, so it's possible that it's been fixed somewhere along the way.

Edit: made a change that cancels the ship's current maneuver when a retreat order is issued. Prior to this, a ship *could* hold off retreating for maybe 2-3 seconds after it started trying to do something else; not sure if that's what you were seeing, but I suppose it's possible. A couple seconds going the wrong way could conceivably make quite a difference.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:39:19 PM by Alex »

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »

Sadly it lasted more then 2-3 seconds.

I was doing what i could to hold off the enemy out of weapons range (I still had 50% or so hull)

But my other ships would slow down to let the enemies catch up, which let the enemy ships take their shots and since my ships were heavily damaged it didn't take much.

What they did I would call "falling back while skirmishing" not "full gtfo asap retreat".

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »

Hmm, that's weird - thank you for the extra details. Very much a bug, then, but it doesn't seem like a "happens all the time" one. I'll keep an eye out!