Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50

Author Topic: [0.96-RC8] Legacy of Arkgneisis 1.9.12 [5/12/23]  (Read 581930 times)

Lord_Asmodeus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Legacy of Arkgneisis 1.5.1 [10/28/19]
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »

After deleting the old mod and installing the old one, the game loads up fine but I when I try to load up my last save it tells me that Al_king is missing.

captinjoehenry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »

After deleting the old mod and installing the old one, the game loads up fine but I when I try to load up my last save it tells me that Al_king is missing.
Same but instead of al_king it's al_sphere

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2019, 08:12:51 PM »

Same but instead of al_king it's al_sphere

None of these IDs exist anymore and there are only two reasons that your game would still be looking for them.

1: You didn't completely remove and then re-install the mod properly.
2: You maybe played around with the mission scenarios and there are still saved variants floating around in the saves/missions/missionname files that are pointing to the old ship IDs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:07:14 PM by Gwyvern »

Tctclwsl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 05, 2019, 05:47:03 AM »

I updated without checking a new version (1.5) had gone live and broke my current playthrough because I am a potato, is it possible to get a link to the "latest" 1.4 version? I also had the good sense to delete my 1.4 zip file from my hard drive due to space issues, to double down on the potato'ing so can't rescue it that way

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2019, 06:17:04 AM »

I will try send you this as i have 1.4 i think. Write on discord to me, sadly i probably will do it tomorrow than today, work .

Orange Juice Goose

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »

Is the spacesuit portrait supposed to be NPC only? It cant be chosen from the new game menu but it doesn't seem to be reserved for a specific character, so I'm unsure as to why, cause its a pretty cool portrait.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »

Is the spacesuit portrait supposed to be NPC only? It cant be chosen from the new game menu but it doesn't seem to be reserved for a specific character, so I'm unsure as to why, cause its a pretty cool portrait.

Unfortunately, making portraits available to the player also automatically ads them to the roster of Officer portraits for the player faction, and that portrait is very clearly wearing Anarakis Reparations Society livery, what with their flag painted on its face and all. So I didn't think it appropriate.

I do have a generic version of that portrait without the livery but I haven't been able to ass myself to finish it as of late. When I do, it will be added to the roster of player-available portraits.

puffzor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »

Question about the Alastair - are there any plans to make the built-in HE cannon projectile have more hitpoints? It's so fragile that 99% of the time it doesn't even get close to landing because any stray bullet or flak explosion will kill it. It actually feels like the ship would be better off with the weapon taken out as right now it's just a waste of flux.

Orange Juice Goose

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2019, 02:43:33 AM »

Hi again! I hope you don't mind a few thoughts from a new fan of the mod. I will preface that I also have ideas that might not exactly be in line with the faction image you have in your head.

So far I'm having a blast actually figuring out how to make this faction work (Starsector has programmed me to discount overwhelming range as a strat.) but I don't quite have the full toolkit since the Society doesn't actually use their specialized hull-mods! (And therefore don't sell them in the market.) Its a bit of a tech mining crapshoot to find them all, and honestly I've only ever found the up-scaled shield generator through it. I assume that this isn't intended since the hull-mods (At least the shield gen mod.) don't seem like tech science lost to the ages, but I could be wrong.

Back on top the top of building this faction... Overall I guess the best way I could describe the way I have been building my fleet as "extreme" mid-line in the same vein certain other faction mods are "extreme" low-tech (Kadur) and high-tech (Sylphon). Aside from a few notable exceptions like the SO hammerhead, mid-line currently cant just ram the enemy and point-blank hammer barrage. While high-tech cant exactly do the same, most of their suppression options deal no hard flux, which really *** sucks. This leaves mid-line as the best long ranged school of play.

Where this faction differs is that mid-line typically results in most warships mostly entangling and disabling enemies for the drovers and herons to bap. This faction is far less reliant on strike craft, with no real ship capable of large (3-6) fighter strikes, instead having to gun down the enemy the hard way. The siege cannon helps a lot on the frigs-destroyers when it comes to filling that gap, but a single siege cannon (At its current strength.) just is a bit of an afterthought on the cruiser and up scale. On the defense side, its a bit odd but the Society is its own faction, and technically follows the mid-line philosophy of not focusing on armor or shields too much. The hull being the strongest defense stat is a bit odd, but it gives me an excuse to put reinforced bulkheads so its a win overall! Though, the tendency for ships to only have 5 more crew space than necessary does not mesh well with the hull tanking; since hull damage causes casualties you need spares. Either more lenient crew caps or perhaps a inbuilt hull mod to reduce casualties would be welcome.

I haven't really ever experienced a situation where the commissioned crew hull-mod was useful, its particularly situational and that situation is usually one of panic where you wont notice a 20% buff. Personally, I don't really associate keeping a scrapheap together as a trait of the Society because D-mods never seem to make their ships greebly. Perhaps if the hull-mod was something that capitalized off one of their strengths it would be more in line with the power of commissioned crews? A boost to range, tracking, projectile speed, or ECM (To gain range advantage) would bolster their abilities and not step on any other mods toes (for now). Alternatively, buffs to the hull will probably never be copied because as far as I can tell this is the only "hull-tank" faction in the modiverse. Pure hull strength, regen, and repair speed/cost are viable stats to be buffed, though if you are feeling reckless you could just make a pure OP buff and grab some popcorn for the reactions.

The weapons are great! The pellet series fell amazing, and the stream like projectile are satisfying as hell. Plasma beams fill a specific role missing from most arsenals and thats sweet! Though I think the medium and large beams could stand for their visual affect being a bit thicker. The bull-dog line fulfills that longer-range HE weapon role I have trouble finding even in the vast modiverse, but their projectiles are a bit understated for HE weapons, maybe a bit more glow? Monograms provide that nice long range pressure at like 0 flux, perfect for the faction really. The bongos provide the opposite end of point defense from the concentrated plasma beams, and are a bit silly. I haven't fiddled with the electron rifles much but I did like the BB deserters so they seem promising. The missiles are fine additions, though I can't say they stand out. The strike craft are well suited to their secondary role in the fleet, and there is not too much to say about them besides the fact that Aces will drain crew fairly quick, which is compounded by the lack of extra crew space. (I haven't used much more than the Aces though.) The only thing I think this faction could use is a dedicated fighter killing weapon; there just are not enough fighter bays to achieve superiority in some fights.

I know in lore the Society kind of makes the Luddites seem technically advanced (They still make magnet based weapons without a nanoforge though.) so this means they really have no right having a phase ship of any kind, and I am totally understanding... but "Who the *** wants gremlins?" I sure don't! But the player can't set their faction to 0 pips into phase ships, so I have to break the faction mold if I don't want gremlins. I am no modder, but is it perhaps possible to make a "phase ship" that doesn't actually have a phase system for classification purposes? Even if it means the ship has no shields, I'm sure the Society can make a ship like that work... but! This would be a perfect opportunity (if its possible) to make a unique ship that has a fairly crazy ship system. While I have ideas on what such a system, I am no modder so I have no idea about their viabliity, so I will just bullet point them.
  • Deja Vu: Just make it really fast and responsive with its ship system, like a Fox on steroids perhaps. Protecting the ship by not getting hit.
  • Reverse Edith: Degrades the enemy's range, either an aura or massively *** with the local ECM score. Protecting the ship by not allowing the enemy to shoot far enough.
  • Hull Cauterization: Spend flux and maybe CR to weld shut hull breaches, effectively regenerating it. "Protecting" the ship by playing the hull focus.

Anyways, apologies for the big wall of text. I hope its not too presumptuous of me to suggest things this far off base.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2019, 03:08:12 AM »

In Prv there is a Gremlin without coils but with big energy point.

Punisher30

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2019, 06:08:15 AM »

I cannot download this update. It gets to 4% and then it becomes corrupted. Its weird too because it's downloading at 6.38Kb per sec. 10MB file taking 38 min.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:10:49 AM by Punisher30 »

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 08, 2019, 04:46:52 AM »

So far I'm having a blast actually figuring out how to make this faction work (Starsector has programmed me to discount overwhelming range as a strat.) but I don't quite have the full toolkit since the Society doesn't actually use their specialized hull-mods! (And therefore don't sell them in the market.) Its a bit of a tech mining crapshoot to find them all, and honestly I've only ever found the up-scaled shield generator through it. I assume that this isn't intended since the hull-mods (At least the shield gen mod.) don't seem like tech science lost to the ages, but I could be wrong.

I know in lore the Society kind of makes the Luddites seem technically advanced (They still make magnet based weapons without a nanoforge though.) so this means they really have no right having a phase ship of any kind, and I am totally understanding... but "Who the *** wants gremlins?" I sure don't! But the player can't set their faction to 0 pips into phase ships, so I have to break the faction mold if I don't want gremlins. I am no modder, but is it perhaps possible to make a "phase ship" that doesn't actually have a phase system for classification purposes? Even if it means the ship has no shields, I'm sure the Society can make a ship like that work... but! This would be a perfect opportunity (if its possible) to make a unique ship that has a fairly crazy ship system. While I have ideas on what such a system, I am no modder so I have no idea about their viabliity, so I will just bullet point them.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I'll have to look into why they aren't using their own hullmods.

As for the hullmod, none of the commissioned crews hullmods are huge deals, the ARS one was set to 20% because the player skill that specifically targets the flagship is 50% and I'm not putting a player-level buff on a fleet-wide mod. Where the mod will really shine is during larger engagements, assuming you don't or cant pull out, that 20% applied fleet wide will give you the edge in attrition, and when combined with the player skill, your flagship suffers 70% fewer malfunctions than normal, I wouldn't scoff at it, if you didn't alter your game settings to make flying around with gigafleets of capital ships easy, then these situations -do- come up.

Also its not so much that the ARS is low-tech in lore, their hardware comes from an entirely different design lineage from everything else you'll find in the sector and none of it was designed with autoforges in mind, which results in a very manual and sometimes jury-rigged construction process.

As for your ideas, giving a faction a ship to fill the phase doctrine that isn't actually a phase ship is a bad idea, but maybe I can cook up something spliced together from salvaged parts, something weird and one off that will let player factions run the fleet doctrine without resorting to Gremlins.

xucthclu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »

So I tried out this mod. I like the ship designs, but I need to clear up a few things

1) Does them being supposedly sponsored by a faction to attack another faction affect the alignment? Doesn't seem to

2) The blueprints they sell, in conjuction with Nexerelin, can be a very easy way to grind for blueprints, as they provide lots of points, is this intended?

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2019, 03:14:17 AM »

So I tried out this mod. I like the ship designs, but I need to clear up a few things

1) Does them being supposedly sponsored by a faction to attack another faction affect the alignment? Doesn't seem to

2) The blueprints they sell, in conjuction with Nexerelin, can be a very easy way to grind for blueprints, as they provide lots of points, is this intended?

1: What do you mean by alignment? At the end of a war, the ARS gains reputation with their sponsors, while their reputation with the war target is set to -20

2: Oops, that isn't really intended but also there isn't a whole hell of a lot I can do about it on my end.

xucthclu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »

1) Wasn't aware of that. Good that it works that way.

2) On one hand, it's a bit of a blessing lessening the grind, but the thing is that the blueprints are worth too many points. Like, a blueprint for some weapon was worth like 3,5k points, when a blueprint package for frigates, destroyers and cruisers of another faction is worth about 2,5k. If the ARS takes over a couple planets with military industry, you can basically easily shop around for blueprints, reputation permitting, then return to the prism freeport, and get relatively easy access to blueprints of all kinds.

In a way, it is kind of a god-send, since Nexerelin absolutely butchered the blueprints gotten from raiding, making it way more worthwhile trying to explore and find abandoned derelicts for blueprints, instead. Getting one blueprint per raid, and then being prohibited of getting any more blueprints for a month or so from the same place can be quite lame in some ways.

1: What do you mean by alignment? At the end of a war, the ARS gains reputation with their sponsors, while their reputation with the war target is set to -20

2: Oops, that isn't really intended but also there isn't a whole hell of a lot I can do about it on my end.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50