Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50

Author Topic: [0.96-RC8] Legacy of Arkgneisis 1.9.12 [5/12/23]  (Read 582041 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Legacy of Arkgneisis 1.0
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »

You want to elaborate on that?

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 12:17:00 AM »

I really want to like these weapons, but my first impression is that they are very weak.

You want to elaborate on that?

Aside from the ion beam, I sort of see what cardgame means. Compared to some other weapons, the impact upon hit feels a little bit too small, and some of them are a little too 'clean' in terms of firing effects and maybe projectile weight. Nothing wrong per-se, just pointing out that they feel on the more piddly side, sort of like the vanilla Railgun. (Contrast, say, the Hellbore)
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 03:24:20 PM »

Kind of vague but enough that I can look into it...ugh that means I'll have to re-do the preview gifs again

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »

The pellets gun looks amazing, I really like them, they have such a nice feeling when you shoot them.

I'm unsure about the plasma caster thought. It looks good, but it seems the stats are hilariously bad. Flux inefficient, short range low damage beam weapon? How I'm I supposed to use that. A phase lance seems better in almost every conceivable way.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »

The pellets gun looks amazing, I really like them, they have such a nice feeling when you shoot them.

I'm unsure about the plasma caster thought. It looks good, but it seems the stats are hilariously bad. Flux inefficient, short range low damage beam weapon? How I'm I supposed to use that. A phase lance seems better in almost every conceivable way.

Thank you!

Though there is no weapon in the mod called "Plasma Caster" Can you double check and clarify which weapon you are talking about?
At first I thought it might have been the Plasma Driver but that has more range than a phase lance, does almost 100 more DPS, and is only marginally less effective against heavy armor, so I'm at a loss as to which weapon you are referring to.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:11:45 PM by Gwyvern »

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 05:58:56 AM »

Yeah, plasma driver, that's it exactly.

It does more sustained damage, but it does no burst damage. Burst damage is the only reason phase lance is good, because it can go through shield when they are close to overload. On top of that, more concentrated firepower means the phase can burn the hull though a small hole in the armor rather than damage the armor all over.

The normal pulse gun got barely less range than the plasma driver but deal hard flux,it got the same dps and flux efficiency too. I have yet to find a ship where putting a plasma driver would be useful. Maybe on an eagle/falcon.

I think that's also the compounding problem. None of your ship can really wield it.

Obsidian Actual

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »

Pretty sure the Plasma Driver belongs to Soren's Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering mod.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 04:17:30 PM »

Yeah, plasma driver, that's it exactly.

It does more sustained damage, but it does no burst damage. Burst damage is the only reason phase lance is good, because it can go through shield when they are close to overload. On top of that, more concentrated firepower means the phase can burn the hull though a small hole in the armor rather than damage the armor all over.

The normal pulse gun got barely less range than the plasma driver but deal hard flux,it got the same dps and flux efficiency too. I have yet to find a ship where putting a plasma driver would be useful. Maybe on an eagle/falcon.

I think that's also the compounding problem. None of your ship can really wield it.

I guess I can look into making them more flux efficient and see how that affects balance, as currently they can burn through heavy armor in roughly the same time as a phase lance after accounting for its long reload, and then do more damage to the underlying hull all at greater range. Increasing its damage would likely be unwise.

This should also help my ships utilize it..probably?

Pretty sure the Plasma Driver belongs to Soren's Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering mod.

We developed two different weapons around the same time and gave them the same name by accident, I have already discussed this with Soren and he decided that he would change his at some point.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:24:05 PM by Gwyvern »

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »

Hey, just wanted to say thank you for this mod!  Using it on my current playthrough, have about 20 hours into it.

Couple of things btw:  The ship sprites look good, and i like how each ship has its niche and none are ever useless. One point of contention i have is that the ships themselves look really really clean...which doesnt fit with the factions backstory of semi-pirates/thug.  I mean, they look CLEAN.  Also, ive seen several of the ships show up in different markets with a slate gray/titanium color, which i personally think looks better then the current cobalt blue.....basically, i think the ships should be 'dirtier' and there should be some well...less blue saturation. They look pretty uh..too blue everywhere. Distinguishing them in a scrum is sometimes difficult, especially the Burke. The other thing is the names for stuff..Imperial naming nomenclature doesnt seem to really fit there lore either. Some strange naming conventions in weapons as well, specifically the "shape" lines of missiles. Could just be me, but having cool names adds to the psychology of the faction..who doesnt want cool names for stuff?

Anyways, thanks much!

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »

Spoiler
Hey, just wanted to say thank you for this mod!  Using it on my current playthrough, have about 20 hours into it.

Couple of things btw:  The ship sprites look good, and i like how each ship has its niche and none are ever useless. One point of contention i have is that the ships themselves look really really clean...which doesnt fit with the factions backstory of semi-pirates/thug.  I mean, they look CLEAN.  Also, ive seen several of the ships show up in different markets with a slate gray/titanium color, which i personally think looks better then the current cobalt blue.....basically, i think the ships should be 'dirtier' and there should be some well...less blue saturation. They look pretty uh..too blue everywhere. Distinguishing them in a scrum is sometimes difficult, especially the Burke. The other thing is the names for stuff..Imperial naming nomenclature doesnt seem to really fit there lore either. Some strange naming conventions in weapons as well, specifically the "shape" lines of missiles. Could just be me, but having cool names adds to the psychology of the faction..who doesnt want cool names for stuff?

Anyways, thanks much!
[close]

Thank you! And I'm sure things regarding the background seem a bit hazy now , but just about every point you have made has a deliberate reason for being the way it is, but If I just came out and dumped all this information at once it would spoil the future! (And really, how many people want to read a massive, context-less exposition dump in the first place?)

As for the cleanliness I do agree, however, just adding dirt to the current sprites would not work, as when you get multiple ships of the same class lined up next to each other with the same prominent wear and tear patterns it looks jarring, the original versions were much dirtier and were cleaned up for this reason.

I also agree that I may have made the blue a little too saturated, and some time in the far future a comprehensive sprite re-work for the faction is not out of the question, but for now that would take up a lot more time than I have available, so it will remain as is, and the few ships I still have yet to add will conform to the current style to avoid clashing with the rest of the fleet.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »

Hmm..the lightning system on the Battlecruiser seems to cause a null pointer error.

I tried to attach the log to this message, but id guess its too big. How can i get the log file to you?

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »

Hmm..the lightning system on the Battlecruiser seems to cause a null pointer error.

I tried to attach the log to this message, but id guess its too big. How can i get the log file to you?

Attaching the file itself using a file hosting website, joining the Unofficial Discord server who's link is posted...somewhere in this forum? Or going through it and finding the actual error part of the log and only pasting the stuff around that.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 10:36:17 PM »

sent via discord, ty!

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 03:27:29 AM »

sent via discord, ty!

I cannot seem to replicate your issue on my end, first, make sure you are using the latest version of DaRa, and then re-download LoA for good measure, check if you are still having the issue, and *then* if you are, you will have to provide more detailed information about the conditions before the crash.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »

sent via discord, ty!

I cannot seem to replicate your issue on my end, first, make sure you are using the latest version of DaRa, and then re-download LoA for good measure, check if you are still having the issue, and *then* if you are, you will have to provide more detailed information about the conditions before the crash.

Dissassemble/Reassemble?

Checked, both version are the latest version. What further information should i provide?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:49:44 AM by grinningsphinx »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50