Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Jump Points on Red Supergiants  (Read 3346 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Jump Points on Red Supergiants
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:03:03 PM »

So, might be a good idea to move Jump Points to be outside the corona of particularly large stars, like Red and Blue Supergiants.  It gets quite toasty trying to move in or out. :)

Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Jump Points on Red Supergiants
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »

Personally, I think it'd be cool if red supergiants' toastiness was less severe compared to other stars. Makes that jump point easily survivable if you prep for it. But then again, I'm also a fan of the Motie books by Niven & Pournelle, so I might be biased on this point. (The second book involves enforcing a blockade involving a jump point inside a star.)

Destructively Phased

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 04:49:32 AM »

I’d say rather than move the jump point out of the corona, have some of the corona blast through the jump point into hyperspace. Visually only, so that you know the jump point has the risk of being toasty.

A: it’d probably look pretty good and B: it informs the player of the threat and C: you still have the possibility to get a bit scorched.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »

Hmm, this doesn't seem qualitatively different from jumping into a pulsar beam or a flare. I'd say this is just a situational hazard that one can learn to be aware of. The penalty is not much, anyway - just a few supplies - and in most cases you can either use another jump-point or the system is empty.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if red supergiants' toastiness was less severe compared to other stars.

This is already true! It's probably not super-notable, but the rate of CR loss is indeed smaller for red giants, brown dwarfs, and the like.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »

This is already true! It's probably not super-notable, but the rate of CR loss is indeed smaller for red giants, brown dwarfs, and the like.
Oh, cool. Although yeah I guess without some sort of indicator it's hard to tell (corona tooltip maybe?) but I also understand UI creep and all that.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »

make supergiant stellar objects deadlier imo

thanks

also are black holes deadly yet i forget

rabble rabble

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 04:57:49 PM »

Black holes are not deadly unless you get close. At which point they are quite deadly.

Though, iirc, it is possible to max bun over the top of them and come out the other side.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »

Black holes are not deadly unless you get close. At which point they are quite deadly.

Though, iirc, it is possible to max bun over the top of them and come out the other side.

the campaign map isn't necessarily completely 2d. There's a good chance that the speed redux of going "into" certain objects is to account for the fact you're going around the event horizon
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then