Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your favorite Onslaught loadouts  (Read 9668 times)

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
Your favorite Onslaught loadouts
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:40 AM »

I love the Onslaught, and it can be outfitted a huge variety of ways.  I'm interested in what you have found to be an "optimal" build.  Obviously it's going to vary depending on what role you want to fulfill but let here what you outfit it for and what you put on it to accomplish that.

My favorite so far has just been what I consider a balanced build. 
Hardpoints: Gauss Cannonx2
3 Large Ballistic: Hephaestus AG x3
all med ballistic points are flak cannons other than the two in front of the bridge which I leave empty
and the one on the tip of the bow where I put a dual flak
4x Typhoon reaper or pillum lrm
6x railgun or 6x light assault gun, I'm really torn on which I like better.

Integrated targeting unit for the 25% range increase
Extended Mags because those Hephaestus guns tend to run dry without it
Sometimes extended missile racks if, but this just seems like overkill, so usually I put the remainder into vents.

The idea is to get shields down with the Gauss cannons and then unload with all that assault weaponry/torpedoes.  This works great on big ships, but frigates tend to be fast enough to dodge the assault guns, which is why I'm torn between the small railguns vs small assault guns.  Oh and the flak coverage is so insane that most of the time shields are not required at all vs bombers and any number of missiles. 

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite Onslaught loadouts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »

I'll have to try the Onslaught some more... Haven't really played with it much since it is so slow.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:00:53 PM »

I'll have to try the Onslaught some more... Haven't really played with it much since it is so slow.

Just don't raise shields until you see an enemy, you'll get the speed bonus.  It's not that much faster than a paragon, only 5 points.

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

a paragon does not need to be fast, its a long range beam platform with deathstar-esk defences. it just needs to turn and have a fighters for long range recon.

most updated onslaught models swap out the hellbores for railguns yes but swap out the pilum lrms for torpedos. it is a siege ship, and if theres no nav beacon its got a speed of 60, regular crew i think.

you could put augmented engines in it, but what are you willing to do without?

im still testing my loadout, its kind of an upgraded outdated. more hellbores, some hypervelosity swaped in for the flaks, dual machine guns. kept the lrms.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »

Hmm something tells me that not everyone shares my love for the Onslaught!  I do like the hypervelocity drivers on it evil713, but I find I can't live without my flak cloud, it's just so effective at driving off what I think is the Onslaught's biggest weakness, which is swarmy, gnatty, things. 

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

Hmm something tells me that not everyone shares my love for the Onslaught!  I do like the hypervelocity drivers on it evil713, but I find I can't live without my flak cloud, it's just so effective at driving off what I think is the Onslaught's biggest weakness, which is swarmy, gnatty, things. 
I need to play with one still. But I will probably do the same thing as you. Bombers are jerks. (shakes grampa fist)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »

you could put augmented engines in it, but what are you willing to do without?

I don't use the fixed heavy ballistic mounts and 4 missile slots.  Instead, I get the augmented engines and thruster improvement.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »

I always feel super uncomfortable messing around with the Onslaught's loadout, since the 'Elite' variant allows it to go over in ordnance points. I'm not very good at making value judgments of whether a custom loadout is better than an overclocked one.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »

I always feel super uncomfortable messing around with the Onslaught's loadout, since the 'Elite' variant allows it to go over in ordnance points. I'm not very good at making value judgments of whether a custom loadout is better than an overclocked one.

I strip down everything, especaily those fits breaking the rules as to me thats cheating and unintended.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »

You say that, but Alex and co were the ones that put it in.....

Anyway, I don't fly the Onslaught enough to really make a great judgement, as I said.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »

You say that, but Alex and co were the ones that put it in.....
Left in on accident really. Nuance, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »

I did not know that. Fair enough.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »

Well I'm fairly certain anyway, haha. They did a whole balance pass, so I assumed any remaining irregularities were unnoticed or unintentional.
- Voltaire

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »

Well I'm fairly certain anyway, haha. They did a whole balance pass, so I assumed any remaining irregularities were unnoticed or unintentional.

i beleive in the notes for the next release it states they fixed the loadout inconsistances.

Things were changed with ship balancing but varients were not updated to reflect new balance...

This was taken from the patch notes posted on the 29th
"•Fixed various ship variant/hull inconsistencies (small missile slot on Condor, etc)"

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:57:13 PM by Icelom »

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »

Hellbores up front, 3x Hephaestus guns on the swivel mounts, 4x Medium MIRV Launchers (expansion mod), fill all the medium ballistic slots with double flaks, fill all the small slots with double machine guns, and all the other points go to a Stabilized Shields and then to total flux capacity. Now, of course, I have multiple files going, and y current one is primarily Tri-Tachyon stuff, along with one file for mostly midline stuff, and another for the early Epoch Era ships that the Hegemony uses. In my currently going Tri-Tachyon file, I am setting up a 4-Odyssey fleet with 2 support ships and 2 assault ships, and 4 destroyers for support, along with 4 Tridents, 4 Xyphos, and 4 Wasps.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.
Pages: [1] 2