Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NPC Design and the Reputation System  (Read 2878 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
NPC Design and the Reputation System
« on: September 01, 2018, 12:16:03 PM »

Starsector's reputation system is a strong foundation, but it has shown it has trouble accurately describing some important relationships. Take the conflict between the Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon - in-game they are openly at war, but all the lore says otherwise. The "monolithic" pirates and independents are another example where the system fails. What the game needs is a little more nuance, and I think NPCs can be tweaked to provide just the right amount.

I suggest dividing NPC design into 3 categories: minion, minor, and major.

Minions are one-off characters such as patrol commanders. They appear, do something, and disappear forever. They are defined by their faction, though sometimes their stances towards certain things are influenced by a major NPC. In a way, they exist to characterize their faction like its flag and description do. Therefore, they should have a very limited selection of portraits (excluding pirates, independents, etc.). For names, I think they should be limited to rank and last name, or a nickname. Finally, minions don't need the full reputation bar - they are either Hostile, Neutral, or Friendly. If they command something, then that's its stance too.

As an aside, I think it would help readability if name, rank, and occupation were compressed into one line - "[Rank] [Name], [Occupation]". It also makes the UI short enough for two NPCs in a conversation at once, if that's worth implementing.

Minor NPCs fill the recurring roles not taken by major NPCs. Otherwise they are more or less like minions.

Major NPCs are the primary element of this suggestion. When something happens in the Sector, odds are a major NPC is involved. The Hegemony doesn't simply besiege a planet - Space Marshal Baikul Daud orders the planet besieged. Given major NPCs' importance in their faction, I think the natural place for their intel is on the factions screen:

Spoiler
[close]

A faction's major NPCs would only be shown when the faction is selected (or one of the NPCs, of course). An NPC's information should at least include their full name and title (e.g. "Diktat Executor Philip Andrada"), their full-size portrait, the player's reputation with them, a description/history/summary, and any personal allies or enemies they have. It is these personal allies and enemies that provide the nuance we desire.

Take the TT-Heg hostilities. Say they are Suspicious with each other instead of Hostile. Say Space Marshal Daud has fleets (with a distinguishing prefix) that are influenced by his relations. Say Daud is enemies with a TT NPC that also has loyal fleets (perhaps Kader from Forlorn Hope, who probably escaped disgrace and has climbed the ranks despite being part of the "head-on attack" crowd). Does it not make sense those two sets of fleets would attack each other?

There you go, overall peace despite frequent skirmishes. Nuance achieved.

A couple other factions' nuances:
Spoiler
The Sindrian Diktat is an interesting faction: ostensibly under Andrada's total control, but of course that can't be completely true. Letting the Lions Guard be influenced by Andrada's personal opinions presents the sway between the faction and Andrada. You could be hostile with the Sindrian Diktat, but if you have high rep with Andrada then the Lions Guard would be Neutral towards you. Anger Andrada and the Lions Guard would attack even if you were Neutral with the Diktat as a whole.

I like Alex's fixed pirate rep idea; a big "HOSTILE" in place of the usual faction's reputation bar would be fun. Warlords and other crime boss major NPCs would allow some pirates to be part of subfactions the player could make peace with (for a time at least). It might also make it possible for pirates to fight each other without it being incomprehensible ("X Gang Raider" vs "Y Gang Raider" instead of two "Pirate Raiders").
[close]

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Design and the Reputation System
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »

I very much like the major NPCs portion of this suggestion! Having them be present in the faction menu so we can look them up helps with immersion very much - especially if the description of their actions gives us a reason to interact with them in some way. Example: A major NPC is stationed on a planet that I want my colony to be the prime supplier of marbits to. Getting in that NPC's good graces might increase the accessibility. Or, a major military NPC is known in their description to take hostile action against corporate opponents - and if I start outcompeting their world, they might launch raids against me.

(Interesting that the two example I just made both had the major NPCs associated with places - I wonder if that is because the examples had to do with trade? Doesn't have to be that way, especially with a major NPC who takes their fleet places.)

Major NPCs also give single points of focus for the player to make changes. For example, if killing Andrada throws the Dictat into chaos and lets me much more easily conquer their world... well thats a gameplay goal right there.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »

I'm behind it all. Probably the most elegant solution I've seen so far to the "Not all pirates should be pirates" and "Why do independents ALL share the same relation with people/factions/etc" conundrums

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »

I don't see major players of factions like Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon going off and doing their own thing contrary to faction policy. I can see the Persean League and minor elements of Tri-Tachyon being like this (the former representing each world's nominal independence and the latter being corporate skullduggery and privateering), but going against the party line seems like a one-way ticket to a swift court martial and execution in the Hegemony or in higher Tri-Tachyon ranks; and if real power is held by the Fleet Marshal then he effectively is the party line.

For this to work then each player would need a personality that governs how they behave. Are they likely to do their own thing? if they are, how big a thing are they likely to go against the party line with? And so on so forth.

The main draw of this for me would be with independents and pirates (and the League), as it's basically minor/subfactions with a face to it; but I think Alex already expressed he's not keen on the idea and he doesn't want the game to be like Mount and Blade with its importance on lords.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 01:52:49 AM »

I don't see major players of factions like Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon going off and doing their own thing contrary to faction policy. I can see the Persean League and minor elements of Tri-Tachyon being like this (the former representing each world's nominal independence and the latter being corporate skullduggery and privateering), but going against the party line seems like a one-way ticket to a swift court martial and execution in the Hegemony or in higher Tri-Tachyon ranks; and if real power is held by the Fleet Marshal then he effectively is the party line.

militaries are widely known to be inescapably chock full of corruption, which frequently takes the form of people in power actively going against the interests of their military to be, essentially, bribed, to stop. Demoted upstairs, for example. There's also Good Old Boy systems where internal cliques form whose interests become insulated from that of the organization as a whole (wouldn't be hard to be implemented in-game) and become wildly beholden to the interests of the leaders of the clique which can, by becoming rivals of other cliques, wind up actively fighting against the interests of the military.
And then there's good ol "I'll look the other way for $$$"
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 02:49:52 AM »

militaries are widely known to be inescapably chock full of corruption, which frequently takes the form of people in power actively going against the interests of their military to be, essentially, bribed, to stop. Demoted upstairs, for example. There's also Good Old Boy systems where internal cliques form whose interests become insulated from that of the organization as a whole (wouldn't be hard to be implemented in-game) and become wildly beholden to the interests of the leaders of the clique which can, by becoming rivals of other cliques, wind up actively fighting against the interests of the military.
And then there's good ol "I'll look the other way for $$$"

What I'm getting at is that I think this system is, for TT and Hegemony, the other way around. A major player in these factions that can bend the party line without reprimand is the party line, so if the Hegemony Fleet Marshal can do what he wants then he effectively is the Hegemony and there'd be no difference between his favour and the Hegemony's favour. It would be the minor players that would be open to bribes and corruption and discreetly go against the faction's official stance.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »

The way I see it, each faction would only have 1 or 2 leader-type major NPCs. The Hegemony might be big enough to have 3. These characters are unlike M&B lords - even if they are the leader of their faction, in Starsector they are still subservient to it. Andrada, for example, as I talked about in the OP, probably has the most direct control of his faction of any leader in the Sector, yet he must still bow to its opinions.

The pirates and independents are less united, so their major NPCs have (relatively) more influence. They also have more major NPCs than other factions, but still only like 5 or so.

With regards to Space Marshal Daud: while his and his followers' actions go against the official "party line", I expect the High Hegemon and the executive council are happy to turn a blind eye. (Assuming there aren't secret orders outright authorizing hostilities!) CEO Artemisia Sun probably has good reasons to let the low-key conflict continue, too. Keep in mind that trade and normal patrols aren't directly affected by the skirmishes since the fleets of the two "subfactions" only attack each other.

Speaking of the executive council, it could be a major NPC itself. Nothing says a major NPC must be a single person. The council members could be minor NPCs (i.e. they kowtow to the council as a whole). Not really suggesting this, just noting the possibility.

BTW, I think some of you misunderstand how these NPCs work. They don't have an AI like fleets do. Their "actions" are scripted and implied as a part of quests and events.