Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So what are you playing while waiting for Starsector 9.0?  (Read 9522 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
So what are you playing while waiting for Starsector 9.0?
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »

So guys....

Me, I'm making stuff for VR chat and having fun

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: So what are you playing while waiting for Starsector 9.0?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:14:31 PM »

I've played a bunch of games in tiny spurts.  This period between updates has included a lot of rather brutal bits of Real Life hitting me in the face like a frying pan, but when I can get some free time, I've continued to try out new things, most of which were pretty lousy deals vs. StarSector.  

Best thing I played, at least for the money, was Armed To The Gears, which was so similar to something I prototyped years ago that I really enjoyed seeing where the idea ended up, even though it's not perfect.  I also had fun dying in Spelunky and Streets of Rogue and breaking everything badly in Tesla Vs. Lovecraft.

Biggest bittersweet feeling has been the announcement that Fallout 4 will be followed up by the MMO-ish Fallout 76.  I barely found Fallout 3, NV and 4 tolerable at all without mods; I honestly feel like forcing players into a mod-free game that sounds like it'll end up being a horrid mish-mash of ARK and the MMO-ish side of Dark Souls sounds poorly-conceived, and risky, considering that Bethesda's not known for their excellent MMO's.  

Given that Fallout 4 was a game with huge amounts of Content Nobody Got Attached To, I'm afraid that Todd Howard's about to kill the franchise, or worse yet, be wildly successful in some Fortnite-like way and kill the single-player nature of the titles while permanently damaging the canon.  I really hope I'm wrong.  But hey, maybe if it bombs, Obsidian will get the franchise and do it right, lol.

Most horrible experience:  going ahead, like a scared swimmer knowing they're about to dip their toes in an acidic lake filled with rabid piranhas, and plunking down perfectly-good money to finally give No Man's Sky a go.   Let's just say that I was not thrilled; if it was this Fun after two years of fixes, it must have been one of the worst games ever made at Gold release.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:25:25 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:17:35 AM »

X-Piratez
For all  who don't know its a mod for open xcom that is total conversion and happening like 600 yars after Earth fall to the aliens.
Its much bigger xcom but with pirates, slavery and boobs. I finally decided to try it like 3 weeks ago and I am playing non stop.
Its crazy how big this is. And some even make sense.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:59:40 AM »

Most horrible experience:  going ahead, like a scared swimmer knowing they're about to dip their toes in an acidic lake filled with rabid piranhas, and plunking down perfectly-good money to finally give No Man's Sky a go.   Let's just say that I was not thrilled; if it was this Fun after two years of fixes, it must have been one of the worst games ever made at Gold release.
Well I had a lot of fun with No Man's Sky's latest update. It definitely isn't perfect, but there is a lot of atmosphere and a lot to do. I guess if you're in there for something arcadey you aren't going to enjoy it, and likewise if you're looking for a good simulator. It's really best at being an exploration game with a story that can probably be described as divisive? But in any case it isn't objectively bad.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:51:57 AM »

Anyone had a chance to play Angels fall first? How is it?

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 06:37:15 AM »

Anyone had a chance to play Angels fall first? How is it?
It's fun, but shoddy.

+ You can freely pick your loadout, and there's numerous options to choose from. Most of them are sidegrades, so low-level players have no serious disadvantage.
- You don't actually have many viable choices for your loadout, only a handful of combinations make much sense.

+ You can have space fighter, capital ship and infantry boarding action all at once.
- Most maps don't support it, and the ones that do usually leave you with no idea what's going on (and too little team coordination to make something of it).

+ The game rewards you for coordinating as a team and in squads.
- Your leaders cannot punish you for insubordination, so it rarely works.

+ There are numerous different vehicles.
- They handle like floating fridges, and the system that assigns them to players is bonkers.

+ Maps are large.
- Vehicles and characters get stuck, there's no cover, maps are very bare and boring, infantry must walk everywhere (APC drivers never ferry troops).

+ Developers used to play with the players often (may still be true, don't know how it is at the moment).
- Developers are hobbyists only, so the update pace is very slow.

+ Lots of guns to choose from.
- Guns are weak, players are very tough, there's no cover, and movement is fast - so have fun trying to hit bunny-hoppers with fifteen rounds in a row, because any less won't kill and that which doesn't kill leaves the enemy perfectly capable of killing you.  Also, there is very little (if any, never noticed any) stagger or other visual feedback on hitting someone or something, so the gunplay just doesn't feel satisfying.

+ You can chose light, medium or heavy power armor for infantry, and light, medium or heavy frames for fighters.
- You will chose the heaviest frame you can get, because even the heaviest can dodge just fine and raw speed doesn't win.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:42:43 AM by Shrugger »

fededevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:22:44 AM »

X-Piratez
For all  who don't know its a mod for open xcom that is total conversion and happening like 600 yars after Earth fall to the aliens.
Its much bigger xcom but with pirates, slavery and boobs. I finally decided to try it like 3 weeks ago and I am playing non stop.
Its crazy how big this is. And some even make sense.

I need to try this, X-COM was the first game I bought back in the 90'. So many memories... I usually start a new campaign in TFTD every couple of years... The old games still have something more than the remakes, they feel more immersive in my opinion.

Shrugger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 12:57:27 AM »

I'm trying X-Piratez and it's your fault.

+ Loads of content, obvious love by the developer.
- Jesus Christ it's the 90s again and all was not better.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 10:12:20 AM »

Depends on what's getting updated.. Factorio, Hollow Knight, Binding of Isaac and so on. I couldn't be happier with the current middle market, so many really good games to play and keep coming back to. I do occasionally try a AAA release like Doom 2016, but the worthy ones have been fewer and farther between. Might get back into Civ 4/5 again too, the itch is coming back.

Terraria and Starsector are games that I have shelved at the moment until an update comes out. I'll drop everything when the update hits, I can't believe how high SS raised in terms of priority, and I've been playing all sort of genres for almost 3 decades.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »

War Thunder, Caves of Qud, Rimworld (19 released!), Heat Signature, Project Reality

Just tried the BF5 open beta, still just as frantic and boring as all the newer battlefield games, such a shame.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 05:06:50 AM »

I play Starsector!

On and off, but it's about equal between SS, Cataclysm DDA, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld.. spot a theme?

As well as a slew of western RPGs. I still have games of Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment going that will be finished some time this year.

Lumbano

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 04:56:42 AM »

I play Starsector!

On and off, but Quick Extender Pro is much better than anything else and it's about equal between SS, Cataclysm DDA, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld.. spot a theme?

As well as a slew of western RPGs. I still have games of Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment going that will be finished some time this year.

I got myself addicted to WoW again lol. I've been enjoying the new expansion a lot. Can't wait for Starsector 9.0 though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:00:34 AM by Lumbano »

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »

"How much money can you make in 8 to 6 hours?" Other than that, Runescape once in a while, my nintendo switch, as well as Skyrim, Rebel Galaxy an a few others really when I've time.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 05:31:30 PM »

Been playing the beta of the Heat Signature One Year Anniversary Update
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »

Spider-Man PS4 is crazy. Also, jumping into the Witcher III even though I'm about 3 years late to the party.
Pages: [1] 2