Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seeing Through Jump Points  (Read 1527 times)

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
Seeing Through Jump Points
« on: August 18, 2018, 09:03:11 PM »

It would be nice to be able to see what is on the other side of a jump point. While exploring, you can end up jumping into a corona or a pulsar beam and end up being punished for nothing. It is also possible to jump into the arms of a massive fleet you cannot escape from. Both of these scenarios are undesirable for gameplay and could be resolved.

The simplest would be a simple indicator in the "you approach a jump point" menu alerting you of a hazard on the other side of the point. Alternately, the jump point could visually expand when you approach it, showing what is on the other side.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing Through Jump Points
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:02:51 PM »

I don't think star systems are simulated in enough detail to be shown before player jumps in. For example bounties never die while player is out of system. But once player enters, there is serious risk of them getting defeated before player can reach them in populated systems.

But having jump-points expand into windows to other side would be nice both gameplay-wise and visually, assuming edge-cases like above and performance could be taken care of.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion! It's come up a couple of times before, but this time I finally got around to doing it :) Actually viewing the other side is out of the question for various technical reasons, but, we've now got this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlaxKtqW0AEzlBu.jpg:large

For example bounties never die while player is out of system. But once player enters, there is serious risk of them getting defeated before player can reach them in populated systems.

(If you're curious about why/how that works, the bounty fleets are assigned to the neutral faction when the player is not in-system. But, also, non-current systems advance time in larger and more infrequent steps, i.e. they might run once out of every 20 frames or thereabouts, at 20x the step size.)

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »

Thank you for the suggestion! It's come up a couple of times before, but this time I finally got around to doing it :) Actually viewing the other side is out of the question for various technical reasons, but, we've now got this:

Lovely! Will it also warn the player of pulsar jets and coronas?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »

For example bounties never die while player is out of system. But once player enters, there is serious risk of them getting defeated before player can reach them in populated systems.

(If you're curious about why/how that works, the bounty fleets are assigned to the neutral faction when the player is not in-system. But, also, non-current systems advance time in larger and more infrequent steps, i.e. they might run once out of every 20 frames or thereabouts, at 20x the step size.)

it's likely that a small fleet is...

edit: also, is detected fleet size relative? I feel like it should be, I'd hate to be warned of a small fleet only to jump thru and discover the algorithm told me, a commander of two frigates, that three frigates and a cruiser was a "small fleet"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:55:36 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then